Excercise for the elderly, I'm just over 70

wee eddie 15:09 18 Jun 2017

All my Yoga Classes have closed for the summer. At the moment I walk down to Morrison's for a daily shop. About 20 minutes each way.

Sometimes I go for a walk, about 90 minutes, as this is all time I have available each day.

For longer trips into town, I cycle.

I could add a swim to that. Say 30 minutes, slow and steady, breast stroke. I don't/can't do the crawl

So, which would be better for me.

An hour, or so, walking or a half hour swim and 2 x 15 minute cycle rides

rdave13 15:37 18 Jun 2017

I'm 63 and reading your post has made me tired already :(

wee eddie 15:50 18 Jun 2017

I think that my Doctor's a sadist! But she does appear know her onions

amonra 15:56 18 Jun 2017

I think the concensus of medical opinion favours walking. Swimming is excellent but can be a bit strenuous. Try what suits you best, it's your body, you know when you have done too much.

rdave13 16:00 18 Jun 2017

wee eddie ,I believe you still work and you're still healthy. Do what you want to do, cycle, swim or paragliding, whatever. Just enjoy life to the best you can. I've three years to 'retire' but work keeps me fit. Might work longer if the company and health allows. Who knows the future?

Aitchbee 16:07 18 Jun 2017

I got my sister an exercise DVD for the facial muscles as a birthday present ... it involves looking into a mirror and contorting ones eyes, nose, cheeks, forehead etc. so as to eliminate or even make wrinkles disappear. The lady-presenter is over 80 but she doesn't look a day over 45.

rdave13 16:12 18 Jun 2017

Aitchbee... words fail me.

Aitchbee 16:15 18 Jun 2017

rdave13, you'll need to exercise your laughing-gear more often ;o]

rdave13 16:21 18 Jun 2017

rdave13, you'll need to exercise your laughing-gear more often ;o]

Would have done a few decades ago. Laughing gear not so full these days...

Aitchbee 16:30 18 Jun 2017

Lol! Me too.

rdave13 17:50 18 Jun 2017

P.S. wee eddie ,your not 'elderly' you're just a tad over 70.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?