Excellent Music Information (British)

Bingalau 16:08 17 Jun 2007

Just thought I would pass on this very good site for anyone interested in British music hits, No. 1's and Top Twenties hits etc. Full of interesting facts about the artistes, ages of youngest and oldest to hit the top of the pops etc. well worth exploring.... click here

wellshgit 18:01 17 Jun 2007

thanks for the link. just looked at the number ones for 1950,s, sheer nostalgia!!! They dont write them like that anymore!!!

Bingalau 21:37 17 Jun 2007

wellshgit. Yes my thoughts too. I couldn't find one for my birth date as they don't really start until the 1950's. But had a guess at which one was top of the pops when I got married and got it right, (Anne Shelton or Mario Lanza singing "The Loveliest Night Of The Year"). There is a wealth of information about various singers on the site too. I can't understand why more people have not looked at it.

wellshgit 22:15 17 Jun 2007

yes I was born before 1950. I got married in 1962 when Acker Bilk, Elvis, The Shadows, The Tornados to name but a few were in their heyday. The wife loved Cliff Richard, she still does.
I think the reason why more people hav,nt looked at it is because they don,t know about it. Anyway I have bookmarked it so I can peruse it at leisure

TopCat® 00:50 18 Jun 2007

The chart archives certainly bring back memories for me; songs titles and artists names from long ago.

For example, this song can't have reached the top ten in 1952 because it is not listed in the archives, but I remember it well. It was called "Wheel of Fortune" and was sung by Kay Star.

I first heard it at my training barracks and on one sultry summer's night after 'Lights Out' we all lay in bed listening to this and other hit songs with the radio turned down low. Kay Star had just finished when God's arm with three stripes on it came through the open window and turned the radio off.

We all expected a real tongue-lashing or worse, but the sergeant in the darkness quietly told us to get some sleep as we'd need it and then wished us goodnight! Next morning and for several weeks more he was right! :o) TC.

Bingalau 09:08 18 Jun 2007

Top Cat.
My wife and I go to line dancing as a keep fit activity. We dance "Waltz Across Texas" to Kay Starr's version of "Rock And Roll Waltz" She was one of the greats way back in 1951-1952. "Wheel of Fortune" must have been in the charts for weeks on end. I am sure you will find reference to those numbers on the site. I will have a look later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?