This is evil

Ancient Learner 12:02 29 Mar 2008

See click here

How can any decent thinking person allow themselves to side with this individual beats me. Solicitors have a lot to answer for in my opinion, and many have lost their way professionally and morally.
Now if they were to suggest 50+ years solitary there would be some justice in that.

lofty29 12:13 29 Mar 2008

Solicitors are only interested in how much money they can make, if they had any moral sense at all they would not take on the defence of half the people they do, the same applies to barristers. Even when someone pleads guilty to a terrible crime they will still get up and try and justify it in some way or plead for leniecy. Also don't forget something like half the mp's ar lawyers and how much moral or ethical sense do they display

Forum Editor 12:15 29 Mar 2008

and don'tr forget, there's no guarantee that this man will be granted leave to appeal - that must be decided in court. It's a little harsh to accuse solicitors of having "lost their way, professionally and morally", just because someone like this is legally represented. Everyone has the right to be represented, no matter what he or she may have done.

Forum Editor 12:21 29 Mar 2008

It's a solicitor's legal duty to act in his/her clients best interests.

A solicitor is bound by rules drawn up under the terms of Part II of the Solicitors Act 1974 and section 9 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985.

In essence, these rules state (amongst other things) that a solicitor must must uphold the rule of law and the proper administration of justice, must not allow his/her independance to be compromised, and must act in the best interests of his/her client.

lofty29 12:22 29 Mar 2008

FE
I agree that it is the legal process and that everyone has the rights of representation, but cannot understand how some of these people sleep at night, lets hope that the appeal courts up the sentence, which they can, if it does go to appeal. It should be whole life.

anskyber 12:26 29 Mar 2008

I'm always amused when I see phrases like "decent thinking people" or "right minded people"

The case in question is clearly distressing given the crime but I am glad I live in a country where these rights of appeal exist. The alternative is frightening.

I suggest it is the very strength of our democratic system which should be applauded, after all there are many celebrated cases of the miscarriage of justice. That seems to be a pretty decent way of thinking.

anskyber 12:30 29 Mar 2008

There are many things in life where the process can and must be separated from the merits.

I know some who do this work and they stand by the importance of the process because without it we would live in a very poor country.

Forum Editor 12:31 29 Mar 2008

They sleep at night because they're doing their job. They're working within and are subject to the laws of this country, and as I've already said - everyone is entitled to legal representation. There's no assumption of guilt under UK law, an accused person is completely innocent - as far as the law is concerned - until proven guilty 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

jakimo 12:31 29 Mar 2008

Its an appeal on a technicality, the guilty verdict will still stand,but the minimum length of sentence may be reduced,thats not to say he will be found fit to to released at the end of the term

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie