Everything Is Broken...has anybody noticed?

Aitchbee 21:46 11 Mar 2012
Answered

This afternoon, on a short bus ride from southside Glasgow to southside Glasgow (ten minutes), I saw, through the bus window glass ...cracked, that, the basic infrastructure of everything was a'crumblin'.

Roads a' crumblin'.

Pavements a' crumblin' too.

A sign-post at a 45 degree angle. ( to the vertical or horizontal...take your pick )

Graffiti on the walls of shops and banks.

Uprooted trees, from the previous storms.

Bent crash barriers on pavements....

Basically, everything has went downhill.

Macscouse 21:56 11 Mar 2012

Welcome to Wee Aleck's new Scotland. Like the Emporer's new clothes, only clever people see the real world, idiots and the like only see broken things. Roll on independence...........

Shopgirl 23:05 11 Mar 2012

Hello AichBee I have noticed to things are not ment to last. Relationships are broken too. Its not just things that we see that need work men to repair.

Quickbeam 06:45 12 Mar 2012

The things you mention have always been broken, you just notice them more as the current financial climate means that they take longer to get fixed than used to be the case.

wiz-king 06:57 12 Mar 2012

Have you reported them? ... Oh I forgot - that's someone else's job to do it.

Input Overload 09:44 12 Mar 2012

I was out too but I saw flowers growing, trees even in towns blossoming, the sun was shining, the clouds look great - I can only assume you were having a bad day. - Don't look down look up.

I think that many things that look bad can be sorted by individuals looking after their own patch, sweep the piece of road in front of your house, pick up litter in front of your house or shop, do some weeding just twice a year instead of expecting the local council to do these simple tasks.

There was a thread on 'Speakers Corner' the other day regarding the USA, one thing I notice there is how clean the verges are at the side of roads are - Why, because companies, banks offices, AKA individuals clean them & it's a pleasure to drive along clean roads. And maybe when you do this you then don't throw garbage out your car window either?

I feel Britons can lean something from this attitude which is if you want something doing it's your responsibility to sort it - Here it's always someones responsibility other than yourself - I think.

Aitchbee 09:49 12 Mar 2012

Shopgirl......how can you mend a broken heart?

Quickbeam...I'll put on my blinkers over same course & distance...cheek-pieces are a last resort!

wiz-king...I wouldn't know where to start.

Bingalau 10:48 12 Mar 2012

Macscouse. I take it you will be giving up your Scouse passport then? Whatever will the LHO do? I think she likes going foreign (down to England).

AitchBEE. I agree with Input Overload, look up instead of down, start singing that tune "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life"... Go outside your own patch and pick up the litter, others will follow your example. One of my neighbours over the road cultivated his little patch of grass by the roadside and I copied him. Now about six other houses have all done the same and we have a nice little patch with daffs and prims etc., outside these houses. An added benefit is that we do not get vehicles parking on the grass verge in these areas. But we have to cut the grass and maintain it ourselves, because if the grass gets too long the council men come along and spray the area around the base of trees with weed killer. So we are now planting flowers around the base of the trees as well. Hopefully that will stop them killing off the grass which was coming on nicely last year.

Shopgirl. Relationships have to be worked on even harder these days. Divorces are too easy to obtain etc. Very few people bother getting married anyway. It's a real treat to be invited to a wedding isn't it? Of course funerals are a different story, I've been to too many lately. I don't think I will bother going to mine.

Aitchbee 11:33 12 Mar 2012

Input Overload & Bingalau.....It must have been the first time I have deliberately looked-out for everything that was in a state of disrepair or vandalised, on that ten minute bus journey yesterday...which I have made hundreds of times.

On the plus side, there are a lot of positive improvements being made, like the major work being done on the installation of new bus shelters in the southside of the city and the resurfacing of some of the major roads.

I totally agree with keeping your own patch tidy, if possible.

But all of the repairs that needed to be done, highlighted in my OP, are beyond the capabilities of individual well-meaning citizens, like the one's on this forum.

Bingalau 12:49 12 Mar 2012

AitchBee. That may be so. But seeing the natives doing their bit, could well make the council administrators take notice and decide to join in. You never can tell.

Condom 13:01 12 Mar 2012

A few years ago all our immediate neigbours pitched in and bought a huge bag of daffodil bulbs and planted them along the grass edging strip across the road from our houses. Beyond this strip there is only woodland and as the town in renowned for its daffodil displays which were started by Percy Thrower many years ago we thought we would do our little bit.

Low and behold just days before they were to flower our local authority grass cutter comes merrily bye and chops the lot down. Complaints went unanswered so this year we have errected an illegal barrier across the strip and we shall see what transpires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?