Evasive tactics!

TopCat® 16:37 02 Mar 2008

I've now come in from the conservatory wherein I just witnessed a remarkable sight. My attention was drawn to the rising sound and then sight of several gulls harassing a large buzzard. The creature was being attacked unrelentingly until it sped off climbing rapidly into the safety of a nearby large dark cloud. The gulls followed it and I occasionally glimpsed the gulls and buzzard wheeling about in the murk as they all climbed higher and higher into it.

What happened next was like something from the Battle of Britain era. The buzzard came rocketing down out of the cloud like a falling stone, levelled off near to the ground and then leisurely continued on its way. The dumb gulls were still searching up in that cloud when I came in! TC.

Forum Editor 16:45 02 Mar 2008

become accustomed to being mobbed by gulls - I've seen the same thing happen on the Sussex downs.

We get Herons regularly visiting our pond in the hope of a meal, and they're mobbed in the same way by crows and jackdaws. The problem the Herons have is that they don't have the aerial performance of a hawk.

Earthsea 18:08 02 Mar 2008

Where I used to live there was a buzzard that would appear from time to time. Sometimes I would see it flying but at other times I knew it was sat in a tree somewhere because of the sound made by all the other birds. It was easy to spot because small birds would constantly flit over its head to ward it off, although it never seemed bothered in the slightest.

€dstowe 18:22 02 Mar 2008

Seems to be the day for birds of prey. I was looking out of the window this afternoon as a sparrow hawk dive bombed into my garden, grabbed a bluetit and was off. Quite fascinating the way the hawk spread its wings at the moment of contact as if to hide what it was doing and then it was off, climbing almost as fast as it had dived.

Forum Editor 19:34 02 Mar 2008

Evolutionary engineering that defies the imagination. I wonder how today's aviation designers would get on if asked to come up with a mechanical equivalent.

laurie53 20:04 02 Mar 2008

The Harrier.

Bingalau 20:48 02 Mar 2008

I believe the Russians have just come up with a new plane that is unbelievably manoeuvrable. it can recover from a stall or something like that. Not being in to aeronautics I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I've got a WMV file with it on but don't think I can post it.

This is the file number if it is possible to get it from that. (CA_SU-30) or maybe that is the number of the plane???

lofty29 20:55 02 Mar 2008

A number of the aircraft employ canards, small wing-like foils placed at the front of the aircraft which increase the manouuvarability, the new eurofighter employs them

Bingalau 21:01 02 Mar 2008

This must be the Russian equivalent to the Euro fighter, but I think the Yanks are up in arms because it said something about, how can they be so far advanced in the field with a bankrupt aircraft industry while the Yanks with all their NASA knowledge can't. Personally I never noticed the Russians were bankrupt. They are still sending stuff into space aren't they? All these British teenagers drinking vodka is probably financing them???

Forum Editor 22:41 02 Mar 2008

A fit bird of prey could easily out-manouevre a Harrier.

A Peregrin falcon - the world's fastest animal - has been clocked at over 180 miles an hour in a dive, and the bird can pull out of that at almost zero feet. It can twist and turn in the air far faster than any aircraft, and can touch almost 60 miles an hour flat out in level flight.

During a dive at that speed the bird's eyes (which can be 30 times better at long range than a human's) are focusing constantly on what might be a tiny target - sometimes a small bird 1000 feet below it. The falcon's eyes magnify the image it sees, rather like a pair of binoculars.

It's truly an amazing creature - one that has evolved into a perfect aerial hunter/killer.

lofty29 09:23 03 Mar 2008

Dont know if I have the link right but try this
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1994695142386399860.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?