Euro Laws on Work Hours and Lazy Brits?

Z1100 23:49 17 Dec 2006

Is that the case?
Do we expect too much in Britain now?
Can Britains work force sustain the country and keep it as a major player in Europe?
Should we pay for more things, like Health?

How many hours do you work in a week?
Why?
Did you feel under pressure to sign away the individual opt-out clause and accept the 48hr+ week?

What about Agencies that that class Bank Holidays as 'Paid Holiday' making you accept no pay for a Holiday that others in the Company are paid for?

And finally, with more EU Member states than ever before, is the British worker in need of a wake up call before the new member states fill up the jobs that other Brits feel are ‘beneath them’? Should the Government Legislate against the Brits on the Dole or the imported work force?

Hanx!
K.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:04 18 Dec 2006

There is a large dairy company near me that employed over 150 Polish workers because British workers would not do the work. The bus company employs many Polish drivers as they could not fill the vacancies. many haulage firms in this area employs Polish drivers. The hours at the dairy were odd but the pay was and is very good plus there is a lot of overtime, if required. One UNSKILLED worker that I know regularly earns £35k+/annum but he does work long, unsociable hours. There is a lot of unemployment around here so I think that says it all about the British 'work'force.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 18 Dec 2006
  Forum Editor 18:53 18 Dec 2006

for the past couple of years. I took him on because he exuded enthusiasm for the work, whereas the four British people I interviewed seemed to be more interested in the hours, the benefits, and the holidays.

The Polish man has never been late for work, is incredibly hard-working, loyal to a fault, full of common sense, and 100% honest. He also has real technical computing talent. He attended Engish classes for the first year, sorted out a bank account, bought a second-hand car, and found himself an Englsih girlfriend and somewhere to live, all in the first six months. I didn't see another applicant who even came close.

The average British worker has some serious thinking to do if he/she wants to compete for jobs with some of the people who are coming here (legally) from EU countries.

PurplePenny 19:22 18 Dec 2006

"The average British worker has some serious thinking to do if he/she wants to compete for jobs with some of the people who are coming here (legally) from EU countries."

One thing that British workers need to do in order to compete with foreign applicants is to learn to speak and write English! We currently have a young Polish woman working with us who is taking exams to demonstrate her competance in English. She asked her tutor whether most Engish people of her age would pass and the tutor replied with a very emphatic "NO!".

rmcqua 09:54 20 Dec 2006

I fully agree with you. In my previous and present jobs I have been exposed to work written by ages 9 to young adult and the standard of written English has been, generally, appalling.
I'm not sure whether Polish people in general have a strong linguistic ability but my (now deceased) Polish stepfather used to speak 7 languages fluently. I do know from personal experience that they have a very strong work ethic.

seedie 10:13 20 Dec 2006

would be enthusiastic after all those years of communism.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?