The Euro

flycatcher1 10:21 19 Nov 2010

Thanks Gordon !

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:27 19 Nov 2010

Thanks for such a thought-provoking, incisive, explicit and enlightening posting. Haven't got a clue what you are babbling about - pills not kicked in yet?

G

jakimo 10:58 19 Nov 2010

I think hes giving GB a pat on the back for not taking us into the Euro-zone.
in truth it was more likely that the thought of a promised referendum would result in all his aspirations on the matter would founder

Quickbeam 11:15 19 Nov 2010

No flies on flycatcher is there...

spuds 11:22 19 Nov 2010

caused some deep concern in our local post office the other day. One assistant, one customer discussing rates of exchange etc, and the long queue was getting even longer.

Do we blame the Euro for that or the Post Office. Decision time methinks!.

johndrew 11:35 19 Nov 2010

The sad part is that even though we don't use it we are affected by it. Much like the US$ really.

anchor 13:47 19 Nov 2010

The euro may, (or may not), have been a bad thing for the UK. However when the euro was introduced in Jan 2002 the exchange rate for the £ was about €1.50.

At this time it is about 1.13€, which is typical. So much of our imports come from EU countries, thus will have become more expensive with the decline in the £ exchange rate. (Oil is an exception of course, being priced in US$).

The basic problem seems to be the admission into euro zone of certain countries with questionable fiscal policies. This has resulted in a great burden being placed on the rest.

Brussels attitude seemed to have been "the more the merrier", as this has continued to have been their stance in recent years with the admittance of new countries into the EU.

flycatcher1 22:20 19 Nov 2010

I will trail my coat no longer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?