EU proposal to ban cars from cities

anchor 08:26 29 Mar 2011

The EU propose that all cars be banned from cities by 2050.

Moreover, cheap holiday flights from the UK to southern Europe should stop, and that new taxation of fuel would be used to "force" people out of their cars.

click here

natdoor 09:29 29 Mar 2011

There is unlikely to be much petrol/diesel available in 2050, certainly not at economic prices. Most vehicles will be electric, so this proposal is not as dramatic as it might appear.

HondaMan 09:34 29 Mar 2011

As I will be over 100 years old by then, I don't suppose it will worry me too much!

Quickbeam 09:34 29 Mar 2011

Phasing cars out of a city centre by logical year on year enforcement is one thing, and with a 40 year plan to develop public transport and make a transition to electric carts would seem to make sense.

Taxing them out is just is another way of giving the EU more money to squander on wasteful and pointless projects that have nothing to do with green issues and undoubtedly will result in a new department of something or another, requiring a huge annual budget that'll never be enough like with the director of the department something or another's salary.

wiz-king 09:46 29 Mar 2011

Oh, have to take my horse in for the daily commute.

Kevscar1 10:20 29 Mar 2011

bet there's an exception for politicains

Grey Goo 10:27 29 Mar 2011

I wonder what will have replaced the EU by 2050

spuds 10:55 29 Mar 2011

The possible banning of vehicles from cities as been on the cards for ages. The major city that I live near undertook some serious 'secret' testing and experiments about 10/12 years ago, in respect of vehicle usage. This was a scheme that was funded from central government to the tune of many thousands of pounds. Most of the test scheme were conducted by selected council officer's and councillor's, with the remainder from a select band concerned about transport for the future.

The report of those involved never really got published, but what was leaked, all pointed to major changes ahead for transport, especially the private vehicle owner.

I think that two other larger cities were involved in this experimental scheme. No reports seem to have been published for public consultation, so I guess the scheme is still under review?.

I recall in my travelling days, how a couple of countries were experimenting, and had certain restrictions on certain days for transport. Certain types of number plates could only be on the road on certain days, and other types of number plates on other days. It seemed to work, mainly due to vehicle sharing, lack of road congestion and the like.

Forum Editor 14:19 29 Mar 2011

what will happen in twenty years time, let alone in fifty. Anyone can say 'let's ban cars from cities by 2050' secure in the knowledge that everything can change before then.

anchor 15:44 29 Mar 2011

Yes, 2050 is 39 years away, and many of us won`t be around then. However, closer is the EU plan to cut car use by half over the next 20 years.

Moreover, it states that Brussels directives and new taxation of fuel would be used to force people out of their cars and onto "alternative" means of transport. This might come a lot sooner.

Shanks`s pony anyone?.

morddwyd 20:41 29 Mar 2011

I believe they're going to call it pedestrianisation.

Trials are already taking place in many places in the UK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?