Ethical dilemma

Main Access 23:50 24 Jun 2007

Here’s a dilemma.

You are on the edge of a cliff, you have two children. Both fall off the cliff.

You go down to rescue them, however you can only rescue one since you need one hand to hold onto the cliff,
which one do you save?
The youngest or the oldest.

Forum Editor 23:58 24 Jun 2007

They're your children, and you're emotionally involved - it's an emotional decision. It's the oldest dilemma in the book, and is not dissimilar to the 'who do you save from the oncoming car - your child or your wife?' question.

Kate B 00:08 25 Jun 2007

Sophie's Choice is built around that concept.

Main Access 00:09 25 Jun 2007

its just like your question.

There is no correct answer.
You’re dammed whatever your answer is.
I’m just trying to point out the stupidity of your “what would you do post”

(lets see how this one lasts)

Si_L 00:09 25 Jun 2007

FE is right, however, to be 100% objective and emotionally detached, I would say the youngest.

However, this is tricky, as some might argue its the oldest, and there is good reason. Many people do not consider unborn children as proper humans, hence high rate of abortions.

Si_L 00:11 25 Jun 2007

There really isnt any ethics in this question though.

Forum Editor 00:16 25 Jun 2007

as I pointed out. It's not an ethics dilemma, but an emotional one.

As for "I’m just trying to point out the stupidity of your “what would you do post” you might want to ease up on the rudeness.

Main Access 00:16 25 Jun 2007

Ethics (via Latin ethica from the Ancient Greek ????? [f???s?f?a] "moral philosophy", from the adjective of ???? ethos "custom, habit"),
a major branch of philosophy, is the study of values and customs of a person or group.

It covers the analysis and employment of concepts such as right and wrong, good and evil, and responsibility.

It is divided into three primary areas: meta-ethics (the study of the concept of ethics), normative ethics (the study of how to determine ethical values), and applied ethics (the study of the use of ethical values).

Forum Editor 00:17 25 Jun 2007

I think most people either know what ethics are, or are capapble of doing what you did, and looking it up.

Main Access 00:28 25 Jun 2007

Your post states that “and she gave me a brief but fascinating insight into the world of ethical dilemmas”.
Your post is quite frankly pandering to emotional inept. Once again it’s the intelligenceia trying to belittle the common man

wee eddie 08:18 25 Jun 2007

Your chip's showing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone