ESET advert

anchor 11:14 12 Nov 2009

On logging in the helproom forum this morning, I was greeted with a grey background with a "flash" message. This completely filled my screen at 1024x768 settings.

I thought something was very wrong with the PCA site, so left it a while and tried again with the same result. I nearly gave up, but as a last resort decided to scroll down, so then was able to view the postings.

In all the many years I have been a member of this forum I have never been greeted with a full screen advert. I fully appreciate the need for advertising, but IMHO this a step too far.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:20 12 Nov 2009

"I nearly gave up, but as a last resort decided to scroll down, so then was able to view the postings."

Exactly, just scroll past if you are not interested.

A non-issue.

Woolwell 11:24 12 Nov 2009

I gather you didn't see the Blackberry ad. This issue has been covered regarding that ad.
I don't get the Eset ad being full page but just at the sides of the forum and don't find it a nuisance.

anchor 11:38 12 Nov 2009

Mr Mistoffelees; "just scroll past if you are not interested"

No I was not interested, but it was not obvious that I needed to scroll down. In past years this was unnecessary; the postings were immediately apparent.

cream. 11:45 12 Nov 2009

No big deal.

You have to scroll down to look at the postings anyway.

Seth Haniel 11:47 12 Nov 2009

depending on screen resolutin/size you just get a grey screen with two envelope watermarks - and after the Blackberry ad it takes you by surprise and you don't realise at first that you have to scroll down over a page to see postings,

thinks 'Downhill' and 'Fast'

MAJ 11:59 12 Nov 2009

Or stay logged in, I do and never see any of these [annoying] ads.

"On logging in the helproom forum this morning...."

Why log out?

Woolwell 12:51 12 Nov 2009

I stay logged in and just got one for AVG.

Woolwell 13:08 12 Nov 2009

The large screen ad is for AVG which you get once when you re-enter PCA. I have now tried with Firefox, IE8 and Opera. I don't have a problem with the Eset ad on Firefox and IE8 but in Opera it does fill the top of the screen. But it is a simple scroll down.

Seth Haniel 13:11 12 Nov 2009

mines logged in all day (until I clear cookies before log-off at end day) and ad there on return to page
back to drawing board

Woolwell 13:28 12 Nov 2009

Now I am getting something odd. Starting from the Home page or News page when I click on My Postings I get taken to the Blackberry Forum in a new tab in IE8.
We have appreciated this site for some time but it has to get revenue from somewhere and I think that if we want it to continue then we had better get used to more large ads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?