Ericaceous compost.

Aitchbee 09:25 04 May 2011

Why can't you get it in the big stores? (Asda - Aldi- Lidl - Morrisons...) Can you make 'ordinary compost' into ericaceous? (tricky spelling) Just planted Camellia Japonica seeds into small pots but will need about half a ton of the stuff in about a years time.

carver 09:43 04 May 2011

It will cost more to change normal compost into the stuff you want than to go and buy it, plus unless you have the stuff to test it afterwards how would you know it was done succesfully.

The reason the supermarkets do not sell it is because it has a limited market.

Aitchbee 10:06 04 May 2011

Hello carver - I think if it was put on sale in the big stores for a test period of say 1 year it may attract customers like me.There are a lot of plants that thrive only in acid soil.Also I have got a soil tester/analyser kit.It cost me £3.99...and it works. B & Q and Homebase sell the stuff but it's double the price of ordinary compost.I may order up a bulk supply of the ericaceous compost later.I'll see how my Japonicas are doing in a year's time.

dagbladet 10:14 04 May 2011

Don't places like B&Q, homebase and the like sell erics compost? They're "big stores". Mind you they have a poor range of tinned soup.

dagbladet 10:16 04 May 2011

Just seen you've already mentioned B&Q etc. bear with me, I've got man flu. Why would it be any cheaper in Asda if they stocked it?

Quickbeam 10:24 04 May 2011

Would and if are irrelevant if they don't sell it.

Condom 10:57 04 May 2011

I beleieve there are ather alternatives which are much cheaper. I have several Camellias, Azaelias and the like in my garden and when I planted them it was a new house with soil a bit iffy. What I did was get a special liquid feed which provides what the plants need and keeps the leaves fresh and dark green and each year I mulch them with cuttings put through my shredder and staight on the soil without composting. Not only is that good for the soil but provides the environment the plants need.

I can't complain at all the plants are thriving and the flower display at the present time is wonderful.

Woolwell 11:15 04 May 2011

I would try a garden centre. John Innes Ericaceous compost is recommended [RHS advice] 1[John Innes]2

Aitchbee 13:23 04 May 2011

Just had a thought - could I go down to the local forest, test the soil acidity / alkalinity dig it up - if it's suitable - and use it. All my plants are in pots.It's only the acid-loving plants I'm planning to pot up.I know the forest soil might need some cleaning up.Ten bags of ericaceous compost (500 litres) would cost me over £50.Six rhododendra plants I potted last year in multi-purpose compost are looking a bit droopy.They want some acid.Thanks for all your replies.

morddwyd 15:36 04 May 2011

Dig in some conifer needles, they will make the soil acid, that's why nothing much grows under pine trees.

IClaudio 16:08 04 May 2011

that's why nothing much grows under pine trees

What, no Camelias or Azelias or Rhododendrons?

Garden Centres are a good source of ericaceous, but I wouldn't advise digging up 500 litres of soil from your local forest, it's probably against the law!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?