Englebert saves Britain from a last place debacle...

Quickbeam 06:55 27 May 2012

of previous years. Well that's the positive way of interpreting it!

"British entry Engelbert Humperdinck, who opened the contest with his ballad Love Will Set You Free, finished second from last - despite high hopes."

Nobody seems like us anymore:(

Forum Editor 07:35 27 May 2012

Nobody likes us because we seem to be incapable of entering a song that has the slightest chance of winning. The standard was higher this year than in many previous years, and I surprised myself by actually enjoying the show. Azerbaijan made an excellent job of staging the event.

WhiteTruckMan 08:17 27 May 2012

I didnt watch the event so I have no idea of the standard of other countries entries but I found our song to be a pleasant enough song.

However anyone who thinks the voting results reflect the quality of the songs need to wake up and smell the roses.

WTM

Bapou 10:14 27 May 2012

Have to feel sorry for poor old Engelbert, drawing the first spot, by the end of the show everyone, including the judges must have forgotten about him. Not exactly one of his best performances either, the song itself did not seem to suit him.

Azerbaijan laid on a spectacular show. Just as well the UK did not win, the budget after the Olympics would not be enough to stage next year's competition.

Forum Editor 10:23 27 May 2012

I've woken up, and the roses smell great, I also think that the winning song was very much the best of the evening. It's landslide victory was nothing to do with politics - it won because it was good.

Of course there's political voting, but 42 countries decided the result, and the politics had nothing to do with the outcome.

birdface 10:26 27 May 2012

I think the choice of Singer was wrong and whoever picked him to sing for the UK should be sacked instantly.

Maybe 40-50 years ago he may well have stood a chance but not today.

Anyone in there right mind think that he could have won or even come close.I think he finished about where I imagined he would when I heard that he had been picked.

Maybe if the contest was just for over seventies he may have stood a chance.

Forum Editor 10:27 27 May 2012

I've woken up, and the roses smell great, I also think that the winning song was very much the best of the evening. Its landslide victory was nothing to do with politics - it won because it was good.

Of course there's political voting, but 42 countries decided the result, and the politics had nothing to do with the outcome.

interzone55 10:29 27 May 2012

Cost of hosting Eurovision

Many people seem to think the entire cost of hosting Eurovision is borne by the hosting nation, hence the alleged comment by the Spanish producer urging their contestant not to win.

Most of the cost is borne by commercial sponsors, with some funding from the UK, French, German and Spanish broadcasters (which is why we never have to go through the semi-finals).

Otherwise Azerbaijan would simply not have been able to host the contest this year

WhiteTruckMan 10:31 27 May 2012

FE

I disagree, but I heard you the first time ;)

WTM

spuds 10:49 27 May 2012

Its all becoming a bit of a joke, possibly like the Miss World coverage from a few years ago.

Reading in yesterday's media, it seemed to be suggested that the winning country might be dreading that event actually happening, due to possible costs of staging the event next time, and most Euro countries being bankrupt?.

At least Englebert might be in his UK local next week (Old Greyhound Inn) celebrating his return with his local friends. Some of the locals had arranged their supporter £39.95 'posh party' in the marquee on the night?.

Aitchbee 11:27 27 May 2012

If Engelbert had managed to come in last, he would have been able to re-release his hit single...."The Last Waltz" ... should last forever... a record company's dream come true!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?