England stars 'set to shun tour'

Quickbeam 08:04 03 Dec 2008

click here
I'm surprised so little has yet been said about this tour continuing. I wouldn't return so soon, for reasons of security and also for respect for the victims.

john bunyan 09:40 03 Dec 2008

Not going means the terrorists win. These are highly paid, if not very succesful, sportsmen who are going to the country who is the most enthusiastic cricketing country. Not going would be the equivalent of leaders not going out in the street in the last war. They will be well protected and anyway the culprits allegedly came in by sea. If they dont go how can we expect others to come here for the Olympic Games when we have had terrorism here and have a high threat level. (In case anyone asks, although retired, I would go to India tommorow if required) Going shows solidarity with the victims by showing we are not going to be beaten.

Legolas 13:30 03 Dec 2008

Would I go to India at the moment? It would depend on the reason I needed to go. And speaking from a personal point of view I don't think cricket, or any sport for that matter, and I am a cricket/sports fan, is worth risking/losing your life over, so no I wouldn't go.

ronalddonald 13:58 03 Dec 2008

the end of the day its up to the team to make a decision and stick to it and that's what they have decided that's what they should do. They play as team and listen to their team Captain.

I don't understand the mentality that the terrorists win how, the terrorist haven't won nothing NOTHING they are just cowards. Okay the cricket wont be played for a while its not the end of the world and cricket will come back when the time is right. Why dont u johnny and forum member go over there and play marbles.

jakimo 15:41 03 Dec 2008

As the terrorist were looking for British & American passport holders,the wise would give cricket a miss in India & Pakistan for the time being

john bunyan 16:40 03 Dec 2008

ronalddonald.
Personal remarks do not help. I merely said that if the cricket is put off by this, surely the UK Olympics could suffer the same fate (teams not coming)as we here have a high terror alert. I think most British people brought up in the last war would not allow this episode to stop them going as a mark of support to India. If you disaagree, fine, but please dont make silly remarks about marbles. The terrorists win if they deter normal living, including cricket. I trust you still travel on the Underground in London?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:12 03 Dec 2008

'NOTHING they are just cowards'...you really have no idea how the terrorist mind works, do you? Agree or disagree (one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter-ask Mandela for clarification on this), people do not sacrifice their lives lightly and I would imagine that you would be sneaking to the back of the queue if it was your turn. Mis-guided, brain-washed, maybe; cowards, not really.

G

Legolas 20:08 03 Dec 2008

GANDALF <|:-)> I don't think Nelson Mandela was ever a terrorist he supported and took a very active part in non-violent civil disobedience. In fact in one instance when he was in court for his actions the judge acutely praised him for his non-violent protest. If there were others who did not share his non-violent stance then I wouldn't hold Mandela accountable for them.

laurie53 20:21 03 Dec 2008

No-one is suggesting that Mandela is a terrorist, simply that he is well placed to clarify the difference between terrorism and freedom fighting.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:35 03 Dec 2008

Mandela was classified as a terrorist for years by the Governments of The States and the UK...just shows how hard it is to decide.

G

Switcher 00:07 04 Dec 2008

Mandela wrote in defence of armed conflict against the government of the day. He did support violence. I suppose the next thing we will be told is that Adams and McGuiness were not terrorists. It might be politically convenient for governments to re-classify certain people.
However they cannot alter history.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone