The End of an Era

Quickbeam 09:19 05 May 2011

Last Great War Veteran Dies

1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13289607 Now that the last has gone, will we now view this war as we do the Boer and Napoleonic wars, as remote and impersonal history?

muddypaws 09:40 05 May 2011

Quickbeam Think that ius the wrong link. Takes me to BBC News Police.

Quickbeam 10:02 05 May 2011
  Aitchbee 13:00 05 May 2011

Quickbeam - that was a great link. I'm just a whippersnapper of 56 and have not seen an angry man. My downstairs neighbour is a man of 95.He fought in the second world war.Another neighbour told me about John. He went through hell and I don't bring up the subject when I visit him. All of the soldiers who defend our country are heroes.Has there been a war to end all wars? Not yet.

Belatucadrus 16:10 05 May 2011

Born in Pershore which is only a couple of miles from us. Truly the Last of the Last. RIP.

Forum Editor 00:34 06 May 2011

remote and impersonal history?

All history becomes remote and impersonal, once there are no longer any living links to events.

When my father reached old age I realised that when he died my brothers and our children would no longer have access to his personal memories of flying in Lancasters in the second world war. We encouraged him to start writing his memoirs of a life in the RAF. The result was about a dozen school exercise books of reminiscences, completed just a short time before he died. I've collated them into a text document which can be passed on to future generations of our family.

Personal recollections are unique, and breath life into distant events like nothing else can. People who were adults during the 1939/45 world war are now in old age, and it isn't going to be that long before they, too, have all slipped away. It's well worth recording their memories before it's too late, so that future generations will have access to a rich archive of personal histories.

Belatucadrus 11:26 06 May 2011

As a young man my father worked with one of the few veterans who would talk about his experiences on the front. To his eternal shame him couldn't believe the stories he was told, they were so horrendous they couldn't possibly be true. Only when he saw the BBC series did he realise that there had not been an iota of exaggeration in what he'd been told. My great uncle Jack served at Gallipoli before being killed on the Somme, for a country boy from Worcester it must have been like being dropped straight into hell.

Noldi 19:52 06 May 2011

My grandfather on my mother’s side survived the Somme but was not a lot of good when he returned so that relatives had to care for my mother or she would have been taken into care, her mother past away soon after his return, I remember as a youngster finding it funny when he was given a cup of tea, he didn’t get to drink much of it most went on the floor, little did we know what it was really all about. A strange situation I have is at present I am working at a company that is based at a large manor house where my father started as a garden boy, the house was the lodgings for the pilots from Tangmere and this was before he was called up for WWII that totally ruined he working life after he returned with no skills, shame he’s not here to tell me what it was like all that time ago and he could probably explain what look to be large craters in the field. They are all going even the guys who fought in the Falkland’s are getting on just like me.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?