Employment contracts and changes

  josie mayhem 13:25 14 Jan 2007

I know that my start/finish times, days that I work can be changed by my company by giving if I don't agree a letter giving me 4 weeks warning of changes to my contract...

What I want to know is, can they increase my hours against my will? I have been told that I might have to start working Sunday afternoons on my working weekend, this is something I do not want to do as it will increase my working hours.

Durning my shift I have either lost a break completely or I have had breaks cut back to the bare legal minium... The breaks that I had was arranged by my prevous manager to accomandate my medical needs.... So losing this have had a noticable effect on my health...

At the moment it feels like the management is using anything they can to enforce me into resigning my post...

So does anyone know what are my legal rights?

  Mr Mistoffelees 13:30 14 Jan 2007

You may find some helpfull information here click here

  SB23 13:40 14 Jan 2007

Have you tried speaking to them about the changes?
If you get the chance I would also mention that you had an agreement with your previous manager, with regards to your medical needs.

  Forum Editor 13:51 14 Jan 2007

It will outline the terms and conditions applying to your work. If your employer wants to materially alter the terms under which you were employed, and you disagree, there's a procedure for dispute resolution, and both you and your employer must follow it.

If your employer so alters your working conditions that you feel bound to resign you may have grounds for making a claim for compensation for constructive dismissal. If things reach this stage you should consult your local employment tribunal for advice - all cases are slightly different, and we're not qualified to offer specific advice on such matters.

  Forum Editor 13:54 14 Jan 2007

with reference to your agreement with your previous manager, that this is often a contentious issue. The terms of your employment contract can be written or verbal. The problem with verbal promises however, is that they are very much more difficult to prove; it will often be your word against your employer's. This can be particularly difficult if a period of time has passed since your job started and memories have faded, or if the relevant manager who made the verbal promise is no longer with the employer.

  spuds 14:10 14 Jan 2007

Contact your local Jobcentre/DWP who should be able to provide information about employment law, or how to obtain free advice via other outlets.

My local council have a section called the Low Pay team, who investigate companies that contravene employment laws.Apparently, they have a very good success rate, in resolving problems before and after events. Perhaps your council have something similar, who can offer help and advice.Might be worth a try, and see if your local council have such a scheme.

  josie mayhem 14:19 14 Jan 2007

Tried that one, I asked if I took a shorter dinner break, cut that back to 20 minutes then I could still have my afternoon break... And if I started 10 mins eariler in the morning then this would cover the other (later) food break but was told that this was impossible too complicated!!!!

  Kate B 14:30 14 Jan 2007

If you're a member of a union, now is the time to consult a union official. That's what they're there for. Good luck - businesses bleat a lot about restrictive laws that stifle their competitiveness, but they tend to forget that their primary asset is their staff who deserve to be treated properly. Businesses often ride roughshod over individuals.

  josie mayhem 16:52 14 Jan 2007

Kate B not a member of a union.

I've had a look at the site Mr Mistoffelees gave, but there is very little where my posistion really stands...

I've got a day off Tuesday so I think that I will phone around do see if I can gain some more information.

  octal 17:00 14 Jan 2007

Have a look at you home insurance sometimes it includes legal help, I have this covered for employment disputes, neighbour problems and various other things. Also the CAB should be able to advise.

  Kate B 17:01 14 Jan 2007

I'd try the CAB, then, for advice, because you need a lawyer, preferably an employment lawyer, to look at your contract. And if you can, do join the appropriate union. They're not just about strikes ;) what they're excellent for is just the situation you've found yourself in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?