Employment Agencies

techie4me 18:33 03 Apr 2008

Are employment agencies govenered by any regualtions?
Or have a body that checks up on how they practice?
Think i have just been shafted by one!!

Will not go in to the details of the agency or exactly what they have done, but they have been a tad naughty over something.

techie4me 18:34 03 Apr 2008

Are employment agencies governed by any regulations?
Or have a body that checks up on how they practice?
Think i have just been shafted by one!!

Will not go in to the details of the agency or exactly what they have done, but they have been a tad naughty over something.

laurie53 18:39 03 Apr 2008

I think there are regulations, one of which says they must not charge for their services, only the recruiting company makes payment.

Noldi 18:44 03 Apr 2008

I look at them in the same light as estate agents. They are you best friend to get their commission.

I did once get made redundant, the company closing employed an agency to find us all new positions, included in this was helping us construct a new CV.

I found a new position all by myself but they tried to invoice my new employer stating they had control my CV even though the old company where paying them for their services.

Noldi

MAT ALAN 18:51 03 Apr 2008

Nobody will really be able to comment because of the nature of the question, If you cannot tell us whats wrong we cannot help...

Go to your local CAB they will give you the advice you seek and a course of action to take...

barca1 18:55 03 Apr 2008

"techie4me"

Too put the cards on the table i HATE them!!

We have loadsa em & if its known about them they advertise jobs THAT DONT EXSIST...just to get people on there books,my friend use to work for the Employment Service a couple of years ago & we got talking about them as the local job centre was full of work but around 65% of the jobs was via agencies & she stated to me that the goverment does NOTHING about this they can simply advertise jobs that they havent got to get more people on there books although youve been to a interview with them..talk about waisting peoples time..& besides been ripped off thats my reasons why i dont like them..
BUT other people might have a totaly differant outlook on them..

monkeyboy21 18:58 03 Apr 2008

Like all businesses, some are good, some bad (yes, i work for a small agency). We can voluntary sign up to REC (recruitment Employment Council) which helps monitor agencies, but also gives legal and current HR advice and we can be exor accredited click here which is mainly for public service suppliers. Laurie53 is correct, an employee should never be charged for services, as we make our money from the client's charge.

bab5 21:44 03 Apr 2008

techie4me,

Try looking up “The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses
Regulations 2003” that is the basis of the current regulations, also dependant on the type of agency they might well fall under the terms of the The Gangmasters (Licensing Authority) Regulations 2005 as the franchise owner of 247 Staff Burton upon Trent recently found out, an investigation by the Gangmasters Licensing Authority resulted in the franchisee having his licence revoked last month due to malpractice.

There’s also a whole host of other regulations that the agency might come under, including, but not limited to the following-The Sex
Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation Regulations 2003 and the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief)Regulations 2003, The UK Working Time Regulations and also the new Rules on Illegal Working that came into force towards the end of February this year.

Perhaps is you gave us a clearer picture of what the problem is we could offer you some advice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?