Electronic Books

Chegs ®™ 15:45 10 Dec 2008

I was watching The Gadget Show the other night and this was the 1st time I had ever heard of these devices.The shows description of these devices interested me so I had a little look online as I thought "Thats a good idea for a christmas present" The prices put me right off though,£150+ and reading the few reviews I found it seems that the actual data you download to them is additional cost.The Gadget Shows example was said to hold approx 170 novels,more than enough material to last a journey/holiday,etc.

The result of my quick research of these devices is I've decided that I'll continue using the library for my reading matter.

If you were to receive one of these devices as a christmas present,would you use it in preference to a normal paper book(s)?

€dstowe 16:06 10 Dec 2008

Looking at an electronic screen for long term reading is not my idea of pleasure despite there being 170 novels all in the little box.

Strikes me as akin to these pointless electronic photo frames - an answer in search of a problem.

I shall continue reading from the printed page as, it seems, will most other people. Think of the number of printers in use. If reading on-screen were so good, there would be no market for printers or the printed page whether book, newspaper, magazine, whatever.

spuds 16:16 10 Dec 2008

Like all these type of new gadgets, there is someone somewhere who as it on a 'must have' list.
Bit like the Swiss knife, stacks of useful items and you only ever manage to use two or three.

interzone55 16:48 10 Dec 2008

The screens on e-book readers is much easier to read than a laptop or PC screen.

I've had a look at the Sony PRS-505 in John Lewis and it's a very desirable device, the screen is really easy on the eyes, it looks very much like a proper book.

But there's always the stumbling block of the high prices, and the fact that many e-books are actually more expensive than their hard back equivalents because of the higher bulk discounts available. It doesn't seem to occur to publishers that after the cost of digitisation (about £100) and format conversion (about £10 a time) each e-book sale is pure profit, so their prices could be much lower, maybe in a couple of years they'll have learnt the same lessons as the record companies...

Pineman100 17:20 10 Dec 2008

This may sound pretentious, but a there's something really important about a proper book. Something that links you to the whole of human knowledge and history. I love the feel and the smell of them, as well as the contents.

A book is robust and versatile. It doesn't need batteries and it's virtually unbreakable. You can fall asleep with one in your hand, and wake up with it squashed underneath you, without significant damage.

And once you've read it, you can place it in your bookshelf to be treasured, along with all your others.

Long live books.

peter99co 18:31 10 Dec 2008

My friend bought one and it had 100 novels on free of charge. He paid £199

€dstowe Pointless electronic photo frames?

I have 200 favourite photographs on one and have it on my desk at work. Why is that pointless?

canarieslover 18:45 10 Dec 2008

I do like to read in the bath and on several occasions I have woken up to a soggy book floating alongside me. I don't think I'll be buying an electronic book!!!!

robgf 19:55 10 Dec 2008

I'm always dropping my paperbooks and use them to swat spiders etc. So a fragile electronic device probably isn't the best option.

laurie53 21:01 10 Dec 2008

My wife is getting the Sony (which she asked for) for Christmas.

It is the one most like a real paperback that I've yet seen, and has good battery life and visibility.

However, she is disabled and only has the use of one hand to hold the book and turn the pages, so an electronic book has great advantages over hard copy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:32 10 Dec 2008

A friend of mine has the Sony and according to rumours, I am getting one for Xmas. Having examined her Sony, there is no way that I would go back to paper books except for reference ones.

'This may sound pretentious, but a there's something really important about a proper book. Something that links you to the whole of human knowledge and history. I love the feel and the smell of them, as well as the contents'..it does but not as much as 'there's nothing like holding a 17th century volume in your (gloved) hands and wondering who has held it before you'...;-)

G

Quickbeam 08:21 11 Dec 2008

of breaking a new paperbacks spine, folding over the corners as a bookmark, licking your finger to turn over to the next page and trying to find your place after you drop off to sleep in bed and it suddenly falls to the floor waking you up with a jolt...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie