Electricity supply

  beeuuem 17:19 17 Dec 2010

My neighbour has been told that the electricity supply to her flat needs upgrading. Can anyone advise where her responsibility starts i.e. at the meter?
I know that this is the case with gas.
She is being told that she will have to pay some £2K, including the cost of digging up the road, to connect to another phase of the supply.

  beeuuem 17:36 17 Dec 2010

Scottish power!
My supply was replaced some years ago from the main fuse to the meter at no cost.
She was going having a new consumer box fitted, the electrician said the supply was inadequate - cue Scottish Power.
They say they have inspected the supply and came up with this figure.
As I have the only key for the site of the main fuse and have not admitted anyone how the inspection was carried out is questionable.

We are talking of a 1- bedroomed flat so the power used is not massive.

  jack O'lantern 18:06 17 Dec 2010

For an existing supply to up grade or repair
Upto point of entry to property-
All down to supplier- and do not let them tell you other wise
From within the property[meter] all down to consumer.
If in dounbt contact National Grid, the own all electricty and gas distruntion and the utilities act as local agents.

click here

  beeuuem 18:18 17 Dec 2010

I was working on that basis ie BT is responsible up to main box, the internal wiring is your problem - gas suppliers are responsible to meter etc. And it is relatively easy to find chapter and verse confirming the above to be the case.

But I can't find a source which clearly states that the consumer is only responsible for the supply after the electricity meter.

  birdface 19:12 17 Dec 2010

This is for the water supply.

It is your problem as long as it is the supply to your property from the stop tap at the boundary.
I would imagine Electric would be the same.

  rdave13 19:31 17 Dec 2010

I've always known it that from the meter onwards then my responsibility. Main fuse then meter had a lead (or similar metal) security chain on it as they are the suppliers property.
Hmm, might start charging them rent for protecting their instruments from weather damage....

  grey george 20:00 17 Dec 2010

If the upgrade is for her benefit not for safety reasons I guess you will have to pay for the work. If a company wanted a large kilowatt supply to run new equipment they would have to pay, although they may get a better deal offset by their increased consumption. If you requested a larger water main to quickly fill your swimming pool you would be charged for the work.

  namtas 20:01 17 Dec 2010

A qualified electrician can work on a domestic system up to, but not including the main incoming fuses, they are the property of the supplier and are sealed to detect any interference. As far as I am aware the supplier is responsible for providing a adequate supply to the property (up to The main fuses) and maintaining that supply. The problem arises where a larger supply is required necessary, due to a change of use in the property. The service provider will give a quote to upgrade the incoming supply but expect the householder to pay for it either in full or in part if the upgrade is also upgrading neighbouring properties.

  lotvic 20:11 17 Dec 2010

Domestic is single phase, commercial is three phase
Main supply to Flats (for which you have the key) should be three phase and then from there to each domestic flat it should be single phase.

This is as far as I have been able to find out from searches.

The question has to be asked, why do Scottish Power want to disconnect her flat from Main Fuse supply to Flats to a different phase (red, blue or yellow) and dig road up to connect to a different one.

(Please note: I may have not got it quite right but that is as far as I can make it out)
some info on three phase click here

  lotvic 20:15 17 Dec 2010

Here is a good basic diagram and explanation for flats electric supply click here

  beeuuem 20:24 17 Dec 2010

This is a minefield. When mine was done a new main fuse was installed in my property along with an isolator and new meter. The 'old' main fuse was in a garage under my flat. The connection was made to the existing supply cable in the garage.

The main fuse next door is also in the garage underneath the property. SP Energy are wanting to charge for connecting to another phase in the main supply under the road although they have not even looked at the existing main fuse.

Although it may be desirable for SP Energy to connect to another phase I'm not convinced the consumer should pay for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?