Electric up 14% in July 1st and up 33% by Autumn

belfman 13:41 28 May 2008

That's in Northern Ireland. I'm going back the dark ages - either that or I'll need another job just to pay the Electric company.

That means that my monthly usage will go up to £74 per month from next month and up to £90 by autumn.

I'm already conservative in usage, turning everything off at the wall but with a house of 5 people... no chance of further saving.

Cymro. 14:11 28 May 2008

All fuel prices are going up in much the same way. Apart from the obvious economys there is very little we can do about it. The age of cheep fuel has passed and we have been spoilt in the past. Just notice the way that youngsters never switch anything off whilst us older generation know the value of making savings.

bstb3 14:26 28 May 2008

good grief! what with this and other rising fuel prices, inflation, hoodies, the cost of living and oil running out im beginning to think of selling up and moving to a small holding in the middle of nowhere...self sufficiency is looking like the way to go. If only Mrs bstb3 would be as willing as Felicity Kendal was in the good life. Come to think of it, thats not the only Felicity Kendal attribute that I would rather have but I will get in trouble if I say anymore...

Seriously though, things are looking like getting considerably more expensive for us all over the next couple of years, if only we had a government / chancellor that had saved when the times were good to help out with tax cuts when times get bad. But oh well, we kept voting for them, so its us thats to blame and we have to live with it.

Cymro. 15:15 28 May 2008

"But oh well, we kept voting for them, so its us that's to blame and we have to live with it"

I just wish we could live with "it" without so much moaning and groaning all the time. As we are still voting for them they must be getting something right some of the time!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 28 May 2008

Those solar panels and wind powered generators are looking more and more useful each day.

:0)

bstb3 15:33 28 May 2008

'As we are still voting for them they must be getting something right some of the time!' agreed, or at least we think (or perhaps havent thought enough about things at all) they are getting something right :) I suppose the acid test will come in a couple of years time, and that could prove to have been a pretty uncomfortable couple of years too for many people.

There is a case to be made for being grateful for what we do have though, just look at other parts of the world and you see how much better life in Britain is now and will continue to be in the future. I cant blame people for complaining that things are getting tougher, its not fun for anyone, but if we took most of it at face value (from the media as a whole, not this forum in particular) you would think it was time to abandon ship.

Time for a rousing chorus of 'Always look on the bright side' methinks.

Bingalau 15:33 28 May 2008

I capped mine a few years ago until 2010. so I am not moaning. Just glad I took the gamble then. Pity it wasn't for a longer period of time though.

belfman 23:51 28 May 2008

"Those solar panels and wind powered generators are looking more and more useful each day."

.......if only I could afford them.

Rock and a hard place, eh. With only one leccy provider in NI my choice is to put up with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?