electic scooters

User-994545 17:48 20 Feb 2009

are there any laws to restrict mobility scooters from riding along the pavement? some of these drivers blaze along without a care for anybody else.Are these things insured for 3rd party,as some are as big as the latest micro cars..i know some are tiny, but some are whoppers

Forum Editor 17:54 20 Feb 2009

are limited by law to 4mph when on the pavement, and they must give way to pedestrians at all times. They must also pay due care and attention to pedestrians who may have impaired hearing or sight, although how you would know about someone having impaired hearing is beyond me.

canarieslover 18:19 20 Feb 2009

click here
Apparantly insurance is not a legal requirement.click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 20 Feb 2009

Reminds me of the Python's "Hells Grannies" sketch

click here (Youtube)

the drivers of these things seem to be a modern version.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 20 Feb 2009

click here

I'm not the only one that thinks so. :0)

oresome 20:01 20 Feb 2009

Mobility scooters seem to be increasing in popularity and are not used solely by those who have any difficulty in walking a reasonable distance.

But if you live a mile or two from the shops and are not on a bus route and aren't a car owner, I've no doubt they're a blessing.

An elderly relative had a pavement version and when I accompanied her it was a nightmare. Pavements were obstructed with parked cars and wheelie bins. Dropped kerbs were inconsistent and often parked across when there did happen to be one. The ground clearance was such that it wouldn't clear a normal kerb and she had to get off while I manhandled it.

W

Quickbeam 00:48 21 Feb 2009

Beware the pavement rage scooter drivers:)

BT 08:30 21 Feb 2009

I think the ones that insist on driving in the road regardless, equally if not more of a hazard. Its OK on quiet sidestreets but when you come across one on a busy main road its a nightmare. When I lived in London there was one chap who I came across regularly breezing around the Greenwich oneway system totally oblivious of the heavy traffic.

tullie 09:30 21 Feb 2009

We have covered this topic before.There are mobility scooters,i believe,that can be used on the road.

BT 16:45 21 Feb 2009

Quite right, but they are still limited to 8mph which is a bit crazy in heavy traffic.

Forum Editor 16:51 21 Feb 2009

the one that comes with a Tiptronic gearbox and can do 0-8 mph in 2 seconds.

I'll order the deluxe version with full leather seat and satnav built in, and I fancy that deep metallic blue - I think they call it varicose blush.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone