Einstein, you fraud you

zzzz999 06:01 23 Sep 2011

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/science-light-idUSL5E7KM4CW20110922

Seems something is faster than light. Add this to the discovery that expansion of the cosmos rather than slowing down (as you would expect with a big bang) has started to speed up again and modern physics has exciting, if startling, times ahead.

daz60 06:18 23 Sep 2011

No confirmation yet but why would Einstein be considered a fraud if 100 years later his theory proved incorrect.I am no scientist but his theory has stood up to scrutiny pretty well so far.

If proved true i certainly agree that it heralds a "quantum leap" and ,maybe,a paradigm change of immense proportions.

zzzz999 06:32 23 Sep 2011

I was being tongue in cheek with the 'Einstein you fraud' bit.

morddwyd 07:07 23 Sep 2011

So Alpha Centauri might only be a few neutrino minutes away, rather than four light years.

It's not just the world that is getting smaller!

Aitchbee 08:15 23 Sep 2011

Albert's famous equation Energy = mass x speed of light squared, might need an additional coefficent.The scientists, who have ran their experiment 15,000 times,will publish their findings for other scientists' independent interpretations.

Autoschediastic 08:47 23 Sep 2011

"Light would have covered the distance in around 2.4 thousandths of a second, but the neutrinos took 60 nanoseconds -- or 60 billionths of a second"

How do you start to imagine that kinda speed? its just mind boggling? i love stories like this, Doesn't Broadband work the same way?

johndrew 11:15 23 Sep 2011

"Doesn't Broadband work the same way?"

You wish!

Autoschediastic 12:07 23 Sep 2011

johndrew lol we can all wish! imagine that eh hyper speed BB more down to earth how about this Broadband speed eh! fastest in the world:

Fastest BB

Aitchbee 14:49 23 Sep 2011

It's obvious, these fast-moving neutrinos are training for the London Olympics, and if they get enough sponsors, they will break the new light-speed record.

Forum Editor 17:05 23 Sep 2011

There's obviously a good deal of excitement about this, but the chances are very high that the results are flawed in some way, and Einstein's theory will turn out to be right in the end.

When you're making measurements on this scale (0.00000006 of a second) an unbelievably small error makes the whole result wrong.

wiz-king 18:04 23 Sep 2011

Well it is only a theory anyway - even Einstein said so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?