Eggs (not easter)

interzone55 09:15 04 Apr 2011

On Saturday I bought a box of eggs from my local Booth's supermarket and it contained 2 x blue eggs (including one so big the hen must have been walking funny for a while) 2 x white eggs and 2 x brown eggs.

This got me thinking, when I was little in the 70's all hens eggs were white, then they suddenly all became brown, and the only place I'd see white eggs was in the kosher section of Sainsburys.

Why did white eggs disappear, and why are white eggs kosher (or more to the point, are brown eggs not kosher), and how on earth do they make blue eggs?

Simsy 09:39 04 Apr 2011

strikes me as odd!

I believe/presume the colour of the shlls is related to the diet of the hens.

I remember a time when you could buy white or brown, (I suppose that was about 35-40 years ago?), and I think there was a premium for brown... better diet perhaps?

I've been a regular visitore to USA over the years, (Michigan), and I don't think I've ever seen a brown one... they've always been white to the best of my recollection.

Regards,

Simsy

wee eddie 10:16 04 Apr 2011

White/Brown is Diet related.

Green/Blue depends on the type of hen as well as it's diet.

Size: I've never really managed to work that one out ~ Double Yolkers fall into the same category. I'm sure that some Boffin has the answer somewhere.

birdface 10:22 04 Apr 2011

Blue.I don't suppose they would be duck eggs would they.

interzone55 10:29 04 Apr 2011

No they're hens eggs, I've just found out they come from Araucanas chickens, or hybrids of these chickens

click here

morddwyd 14:43 04 Apr 2011

Marketing trials show that white eggs are generally less popular than brown ones, so the supermarkets tend to have a preference for brown, as turnover is everything to them.

Funnily enough, the opposite is true in Germany, where white aggs are preferred.

Double yolkers are now generally (talking about big producers) segregated and sent for catering, not restaurants but bakeries and the like, which I think is a tragedy.

I did have one a couple of months back, but that was the first for years.

Aitchbee 15:11 04 Apr 2011

the white ones look too pallid.(maybee laid by hens who are a bit 'peely wally').
(A Glasgow term for unhealthy looking.)
But don't judge an egg by the colour of it's shell.
All fresh eggs are manna from heaven.(I mean hens)
Tuck in everybody.

peter99co 15:59 04 Apr 2011

If the browns were a bit ruddy brown you may have a set of eggs specially layed for St Georges Day.

interzone55 16:24 04 Apr 2011

I don't think they'll last that long to be honest.

I wouldn't want to see special eggs for St Patrick's Day - I'm fairly sure the world isn't ready for green eggs (unless dished up with ham to Dr Seuss fans)

Pineman100 16:36 04 Apr 2011

Legbar hens lay blue eggs naturally - there's no artificial dietary supplement involved.

You can usually buy them in a well-known upmarket supermarket (at a premium price!).

Try them. I think they're delicious - the best eggs I've ever tasted.

sunnystaines 18:28 04 Apr 2011

what happened to goose eggs not seen them for years

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?