Eee PC to get Windows XP?

octal 12:43 30 Oct 2007

Couple of things, putting XP on it, it's no longer a cheap Laptop at £500, plus does this mean the life of XP will be extended I wonder.

At the moment to logic of all this escapes me, maybe I'm missing the point.

youtruth 13:12 30 Oct 2007
  youtruth 13:15 30 Oct 2007

The reason that it has XP , similar to many new computers, is that Vista won't work for you.

octal 16:35 30 Oct 2007

I know Vista won't work on it, but why put XP on it which first pushes the cost up, plus the support is going to end in 2009 during the lifetime of this laptop.

There was an article on the Home Page of this site, but it's been removed for some reason, I wonder why?

PCWorld have still got the article click here

wee eddie 16:55 30 Oct 2007

but that it is compatible with XP.

For the intended Market which is youngsters, they will have no problems with Linux and the only reason that I can see for loading XP is that some potential owners maybe too hidebound to be able to operate a PC with Linux.

I can't see what your problem is. It sounds a great product and I see many travelling Execs ditching their Dinosaur Lappies. After all, "think about this", who really needs to carry around 150GB of files?

octal 17:20 30 Oct 2007

Me? Problem? I don't think I said there was a problem, did I? I couldn't give a toss personally, it just seemed strange to market a potentially very cost effective product just to increase costs again by putting a commercial operating system on it, by the way Xandros which thay are using isn't free either, but it's cheaper than XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone