EEC safety or more Nanny interference

wallbash 19:55 05 Jun 2007

click here

Do we need this 'ruling'
How many people do you know that have died at the 'hand' of the Barometer??

anskyber 20:01 05 Jun 2007

Do you know that none have died from the unnecessary use and disposal of this highly toxic substance?

wiz-king 20:41 05 Jun 2007

I know of a few million people who use it for eating.

I am Spartacus 20:41 05 Jun 2007

'Do you know that none have died from the unnecessary use and disposal of this highly toxic substance?'

No, but I wonder if nanny does either.

Stuartli 20:45 05 Jun 2007

People keeping themselves in jobs by thinking up pointless bans.....

Currently much evident in the "global warming" malarky, forcing you to pay twice to have rubbish collected if it's over a certain weight and...

Well you can fill the rest in easily enough.

1911 21:04 05 Jun 2007

I didnt know barometers used mercury. Thermometers yes. I may be behind the times but I thought barometers worked by air pressure usualy measured by a bellows.

hzhzhzhz 21:18 05 Jun 2007

"unique British tradition"

The powers that be will be happy when there are none left.

octal 21:24 05 Jun 2007

The most accurate barometers use mercury, the type that use bellows are aneroid ones that can go out of calibration. It like sphygomanometers, you can't beat a column of mercury for accuracy, but we are switching over to aneroid for safety reasons.

It's not the mercury as such that is poisonous but mercury oxide which is and it's accumulative in the body, that's one of the reasons why we have had to stop servicing the mercury sphygomanometrs.

namtas 21:47 05 Jun 2007

Not that many are going to be taking their barometers apart but it is potentially very dangerous compound that has a long and dangerous history, Hatter's really did go mad because they ingested the chemicals used in hat-making included mercurous nitrate, used in curing felt. Prolonged exposure to the mercury vapors caused mercury poisoning. Victims developed severe and uncontrollable muscular tremors and twitching limbs, called "hatter's shakes". Other symptoms included distorted vision and confused speech. In advanced cases, hatters developed hallucinations and other psychotic symptoms.

More of a worry for some perhaps, mercury exposure from mercury dental fillings, also known as "silver" fillings and "amalgams", is a life long threat. When a person chews, drinks, swallows and breathes, mercury released from dental fillings is absorbed by the lungs and the linings of the digestive system into the bloodstream. As they corrode, mercury fillings release ionized mercury into the saliva, tooth pulp, and gum tissues leading to the digestive system and bloodstream. So do we need this ruling well maybe not

QuizMan 22:12 05 Jun 2007

I think that this may explain it.
click here
It's the aneroid barometer that does not use mercury, but others do. I've got my eyes on my mother's barometer that been in the family for as long as I can remember. It's an aneroid barometer plus mercury thermometer. Hopefully the ban will not apply retrospectively!! I wouldn't put it past them.

wallbash 22:22 05 Jun 2007

Hopefully the ban will not apply retrospectively!!

So if the EEC told you to 'destroy' your Mum's barometer, that you have loved/admired/ dusted
would you ?????

Or would you just tell those morons
( FE might delete that last remark)
Where to take a running jump!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone