The Economy

morddwyd 08:40 26 Jan 2011

Talking about the latest quarterly figures on BBC News last night (no link I'm afraid) Stephanie Flanders said that the retail sector was one area that had done very badly.

It takes a particularly talented chancellor to drive down retail figures in the three months leading up tp Christmas!

(Yes, I know it snowed, but that was just one month out of three)

Quickbeam 08:55 26 Jan 2011

Wait until the 3 months before next Christmas if you think the last was bad. VAT up, fuel up, lifestyle down, wages frozen, public services frozen = public confidence screwed.

But MPs pay to go up. Didn't someone say were all in this together...?

Quickbeam 08:56 26 Jan 2011

Should read public services 'cut'.

Quickbeam 08:57 26 Jan 2011

...or decimated, literally.

Quickbeam 09:50 26 Jan 2011

"Why not just post a daily thread titled 'I hate the Tories'..."
What would that have to do with it? We don't have a Tory government.

brindly 12:01 26 Jan 2011

We were told it was going to be painful, when you live beyond your means and have to stop its painful. What appals me is the brass neck of the last government representaives denial of the fact they caused it by spending money we didn't have and getting us into debt. If you haven't got the money to pay for it DON'T BUY IT!!!

spuds 12:24 26 Jan 2011

I have said it previously, and I will say it again. When statistics are aired as a convincing factor, then I simply do not believe the nonsense stated.

What I do believe is the management of stores and other places, stating that they have just had a bumper Christmas, with the people spending money as if there as been no recession.

Was in Asda yesterday, and they seem to be making a big issue about being 10% cheaper than elsewhere. Now I consider that my daily shopping costs have increased over the past few months, and Asda have been no different.

Uboat 13:09 26 Jan 2011

fourm member i was all for the collation!
I really mean that too! my best friend is a Tory Councilor and chair of my area for them!

HOWEVER!

They are destroying the UK fast fast fast! & it will be of no credit too them...

From the outlook we are now seeing its looking VERY worrying for home owners and anyone that works...

Politically i am back on the fence and i will stay that way from now on...ive lost all interest in them all even just today a Scottish MP gets a three years for perjury! these are supposed to be people we can trust and set examples!

click here

morddwyd 17:59 26 Jan 2011

"Why not just post a daily thread titled 'I hate the Tories'"

I;m afraid you have once again mistaken an intense personal dislike, and one that I will make no attempt to justify, of Cameron and his crew, for a political viewpoint.

I was a member of the "Vermin Club" (as was Margaret Thatcher)in the late 40s (Google it if you don't know) and nothing that has happened in the intervening 60 years has changed my basic political viewpoint, and I repeat my oft posted belief that Margaret Thatcher was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the best Prime Minister since Young Billy.

I have never made any secret of my attitude to the recent and current policies of the Conservative Party, and until the FE tells me to desist I will continue to post such threads on a daily, or more frequent, basis, on purely personal grounds, and with or without any factual backing, as the mood takes me.

So there!

PS I'm afraid your simple maths lesson was beyond me.

userious? 18:55 26 Jan 2011

Are we in for another war of words between fourm member and another poster?

jakimo 18:55 26 Jan 2011

It didn't come as a surprise to those that followed the political scene,that when 'it' hit the fan and the economy went pear shape, with Gordon's mismanagement being exposed,he promptly gets the push by his own party,he then goes A.W.O.L and has kept a low profile ever since.
Meanwhile the coalition has the task of clearing up the mess of his spend\spend policies that he left behind..
Thats a subject the Labour Party faithful would prefer not to discuss or mention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?