An Early Mobile Phone.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:00 28 Apr 2014

From Weird History. This apparently dates from 1919.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 28 Apr 2014

My other half won't part with her old Nokia 6110 circa 1997.

Not sure how much longer it will last as batteries starting to struggle now.

Aitchbee 22:29 28 Apr 2014

... Indian elephants could make trunk calls to Africa, even before Africa was 'discovered' ... text messaging is not available in elaphantese.

bumpkin 22:49 28 Apr 2014

"My other half won't part with her old Nokia 6110 circa 1997."

I don't blame her, a sensible phone where you do not have to be Einstein just to switch it on.

Forum Editor 23:47 28 Apr 2014

I still have every mobile phone I have ever used, I keep them for old times sake. It's astonishing to compare today's state-of-the-art smartphone with my first Nokia with its rubbery, back-lit buttons, and think just how far the technology has advanced over the years.

I've heard it said that today's average smartphone has more processing power than the entire computing power of NASA at the time of the moon landing.

Our continuing love affair with these devices meant that in 2011, for the first time, sales of smartphones exceeded sales of personal computers.

BT 08:04 29 Apr 2014

"My other half won't part with her old Nokia 6110 circa 1997."

A bit like us. My wife has an old Nokia, not sure of the Vintage but must be similar. It was passed on to her by a friend. My first Mobile was a Vodaphone branded Mitsubishi which I bought in about 1998 and lasted till about 2 years ago when it just started going wrong. It was replaced with a very basic, Sim free Nokia which cost me £17.99 from Tescos and does me for what I want - making calls and the occasional text if I feel the need when I'm away from home. At home I use the landline for calls, and my PC and Tablet fulfill the functions of a Smartphone.

HondaMan 13:28 29 Apr 2014

Not sure how much longer it will last as batteries starting to struggle now.

Buy another!

bumpkin 17:26 29 Apr 2014

Didn't Fred Flintstone have one in his car.

bumpkin 17:34 29 Apr 2014

Didn't Fred Flintstone have one in his car.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?