Early finish or not?

Blackhat 09:25 23 Jun 2010

My staff said something about a game on today?
They have done extra hours the last 2 days so I am closing both factories at 2pm.

That gives me a couple of hour’s peace and quiet, no phone calls and no interruptions (I hope) to catch up on paperwork during working hours instead of evening time.

You may have guessed that I am not a football fan.

Mike D 09:28 23 Jun 2010

So long as they have made their time up I don't see a problem. However, too many people expect the early finish as a right. Many schools are finishing at lunch time, what an example to set to the children.

Bingalau 09:36 23 Jun 2010

It's just an excuse to get time off. What will happen if (TIC) England happen to get to the final? (apart from the Scottish Nation being mighty upset).

spuds 09:40 23 Jun 2010

The only problem when you shut up shop early, is that customers who try to make contact can sometimes go elsewhere or think worrying things.

A friend of mine who ran a business decided to let the workers decide if the would like a 'longer weekend'. They worked slightly longer on the other days and finished at 11.30am on Fridays. It took some time for his customer base to get use to the new arrangement.

Chegs ®™ 10:53 23 Jun 2010

I was never allowed time out of school to watch the sodding football,but my daughters school is finishing early for this reason.If schools are finishing early for the football,why not go the whole hog & have time off for cricket/rugby/tennis/golf and any other international sports?

Quickbeam 10:56 23 Jun 2010

England had a good day yesterday against Australia click here All the schools should have had the day off to see an England win... I doubt they'll see one today;)

But I'll willingly eat my hat if they do.

Kevscar1 11:41 23 Jun 2010

Doesn't matter if they win of lose today, there is no way that pathetic bunch are going to get to the final let alone win it.

Matt Egan 12:34 23 Jun 2010

The rules are clear - if you start early (which most of the PCA team do anyway), and work through you lunch break (which most of the PCA team do anyway) you can slope off to watch the footy (or go shopping, or water skiing, if that's more your thing!) We'll all be checking email, and FE will be maintaining his usual hawk-like but benign vigilance, but with an eye on the soccerball.

Of course, it may be a different story if we had proper jobs ;-)

Matt Egan
Editor - PC Advisor

spuds 12:59 23 Jun 2010

Working through the lunch break. Isn't there something in the governments directives about that :O))

Matt Egan 13:20 23 Jun 2010

Probably, but as our 'work' largely involves playing with technology, I rather suspect we'll get away with it...

interzone55 13:30 23 Jun 2010

It's not so easy when you're in a customer facing environment.

In my office we provide critical technical support for CCTV, intruder alarms, access control systems and fire alarms.

I'm not sure Mr Tesco or Mr Nat West would be terribly happy if his CCTV system went down and he couldn't get support because all our staff were off watching a football match.

So no, most of our staff have to stay in the office. Mark Pougatch and his estimable colleagues at 5 Live will keep us up to date...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017