DVLA are your vehicle details correct?

Roadgiant 22:53 28 Aug 2011

As someone who has worked in the motor trade for 30+ years I always thought that the records of vehicle details held by the DVLA were gospel, how naive was I!!! Working in the motor parts business, it is only recently that we have been using the DVLA database to obtain vehicle details from registration numbers to identify the correct parts. Out of around 100 searches a day I would estimate between 5 - 10 of the chassis numbers to be incorrect. Many of them are typo errors such as "8" being used where it should be "B","Vs" instead of "Us" and many times where the letters are the mixed up. These errors are usually on the vehicle documents, ie MOT's and log books. I used to believe (incorrectly it would seem!!), that the chassis/VIN no. on the vehicle had to be the same for the vehicle to pass.

wiz-king 07:29 29 Aug 2011

Same problem with 'she who must be obeyed's car', according to the the insurance companies records her make/model of car wasn't sold that year but the maker said they had sold hundreds of them.

carver 08:24 29 Aug 2011

It also gets other details wrong, my daughter was stopped several months ago because DVLA had her car down as having no insurance, she was in a right state by the time I arrived with the documents because she couldn't remember who I had insured her with.

Turned out that some one had changed a number 0 into a letter O by mistake.

BT 09:05 29 Aug 2011

Turned out that some one had changed a number 0 into a letter O by mistake.

It would be a good thing if O & 0 were distinguished on these type of systems perhaps by the use of the 'slashed Zero' to differentiate it from a capital 'O'.

My Registration number has a 0 and a O in it, but the actual plate has been made using the same symbol. The difference is apparent due to the position of the symbols in the sequence but in some combinations would not be so obvious.

In the days when we programmed in BASIC most listings were printed with the 'slashed Zero' as mixing the two up caused programs to fail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone