dumping rubbish...was is it legal???

lixdexik 21:25 19 Nov 2009

To day I found two white van men had reversed up to the skip I had hired and were emptying a shed load of rubbish into my skip. I politely asked them to stop and remove their rubbish from my skip, which they did (surprise surprise). They gave me some story about their boss told them to use this skip, blah blah blah. Any way after they had gone I phoned the police and was informed that they had not committed an offence and there was nothing the police could do even though I had the reg number of the van……Is that right???? Can anybody empty their crap into any skip that is on the road. Surely that is theft. I have paid for that space and they are stealing it by filling it with their rubbish. Would they not need a licence to move commercial waste, should the police not at least check the reg and check if they had the licence to move waste….

What do you think?

Cheers

Lixdexik

octal 21:36 19 Nov 2009

As they didn't leave their rubbish then no crime was committed, had they left the rubbish then it might have been a different story, whether the police can be arsed, then that's a different story.

The police would not be interested anyway, now the local authority might be interested in illegal waste, whether they have the resources to following it up depends.

spuds 22:25 19 Nov 2009

Get in touch with your local council, they might have procedures for dealing with this type of problem.

One point perhaps worth mentioning, a friend of mine recently had someone elses rubbish dumped into a skip that he had hired. The skip people demanded extra money because the load had been 'mixed and contaminated'.

DANZIG 23:17 19 Nov 2009

I was helping clear out my girlfriends old house a few years back, before we moved in with each other.

Shes a bit of a hoarder and had loads of rubbish lying around. We managed to fill a skip with it and then went to bed.

In the morning the thing was half empty! People had actually come round and taken stuff out of it!

Saved us a bomb as we were going to have to hire another one!

Quickbeam 05:14 20 Nov 2009

One person's rubbish is another's treasure, look at how busy charity shops are.

the hick 07:52 20 Nov 2009

DANZIG, I have sometimes been tempted to take stuff out of skips - timber for firewood mainly - but have been told this is also classed as theft! Must check with local council, see if they know.

Mr Mistoffelees 07:57 20 Nov 2009

If you hire a skip and put anything in it, it remains your property until it is taken away by the skip operator. Anyone removing items from your skip, without your permission, are guilty of theft. the same law applies to the contents of your dustbin.

morddwyd 09:18 20 Nov 2009

Are you sure?

I thought it was a legitimate defence to say that it was "reasonable to assume that the goods had been abandoned"?

spuds 12:30 20 Nov 2009

Try going down to the local council's tip and removing items, especially if it is manned, either by a sub-contract company or the council's own staff. I checked this out once with the council, and it was a definate no no, and was illegal for anyone, except authorised personel, to remove anything once it had been 'given'to the council, and possible recycling teams.

BRYNIT 13:08 20 Nov 2009

A few years ago I was told they stopped people taking items from council tips especially electrical items to prevent people suing the council due to injury when trying to get at the items from the skip.

namtas 15:14 20 Nov 2009

Mr Mistoffelees

"If you hire a skip and put anything in it, it remains your property until it is taken away"

Will that only apply when the skip is on your property?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017