Dumfries.....

DANZIG 20:48 21 Feb 2010

Hi.

This year, we're going on holiday for our normal two week jaunt, and we've been turned on to the idea of the area round Dumfries. We've got the idea of starting off from Gretna and working our way round the coast in a few days to Ayr.

Anyone got any tips about places to stay etc?

We'll be hotelling it on the first night in Gretna as we'll be driving from the inlaws in Filey, but the rest of the time we'll be camping.

Ta!

Jim Thing 21:04 21 Feb 2010

...if anyone in your party is a Formula 1 nut, there's an interesting David Coulthard Museum in Twynholm, just off the A75 Gretna-Dumfries-Stranraer road. It's run by DC's family and it has a diner where you can get a meal.

morddwyd 07:42 22 Feb 2010

Twynholm itself is a nice area (used to self cater there every year), as are Castle Douglas and Kirkudbright.

Newton Stewart is not "user friendly"!

Wigtown is the Scottish "Book Town", though we were not impressed.

If you're into gardens Threave Gardens (not the Castle) at Castle Douglas and the Botanical Gardens at Port Logan near Stranraer are both worth a trip, as is Culzean (National Trust for Scotland, pricey) on the Ayrshire coast.

Stranraer is a typical ugly ferry port (sorry Stranraer, I know you're trying, but as yet you haven't cut it), but spend as much time as you can afford exploring the Rhinns of Galloway.

Like going back fifty years, a really delightful area.

Some nice places coming inland a bit too. Try to find "The Raiders' Road" near New Galloway.

bri-an 07:56 22 Feb 2010

The road from New Galloway to Newton Stewart, passing Clatteringshaw Loch ( with parking/centre - must be one of the most scenic drives in the country - and you can go miles without seeing another car!

DANZIG 08:23 22 Feb 2010

Sounds good so far.

What we're really into when we've got to an area is scenery, coastal camping and little villages with pubs in!

Mentioned the Coulthard museum to my other half, and got a glazed look, so I think that'll be a no-no.

We stayed at a BnB at Ayr a couple of years back after driving up from Stanraer. Gorgeous place it was, just over the road from the Morrison's there.

I just hope this weather clears up before August!

birdface 08:27 22 Feb 2010

If going to Ayr maybe carry on to Largs then on to Wemyss Bay where you can get a ferry to Rothesay or maybe Dunoon Both fairly short ferry trips.
You would have to park the car at the Station as I think it costs about £40 to take it to Rothesay.
As far as I can remember they have a camping site in Rothesay with some great views.

birdface 08:34 22 Feb 2010

Just in case you go.

click here

sunnystaines 10:02 22 Feb 2010

if the weather is very wet think carefully about following the scenic route to ayr from gretna as we have been caught out that way with many roads blocked by floods.

if you go swimming in the sea beware of jellyfish.

we like ayr as a town and troon for good beaches.

when in troon do not follow the signs to the tourist office as it does not exist and the shop keepers don,t know where it is either not even at the council office but several signs in the town indicate one.

Bingalau 11:19 22 Feb 2010

No body's mentioned the midges yet?

scotty 12:11 22 Feb 2010

Stayed in a camp site near Dumfries a couple of times. It called Beeswing. Quiet friendly place that we liked. It is a bit out of the way and does not have many facilies for kids but there was space to play with frizbee or badminton etc.. Couple of donkeys might wake you! If I remember correctly, there is a pub 10-15 minutes walk from the site.

It is not far from some good cycle tracks if you want to give that a try.

Caerlaverock castle is worth a visit, especially if your visit coincides with one of their events.

Legolas 13:24 22 Feb 2010

We are going to Southerness for a week in Sept and intend visiting Rockcliffe for a meal in the hotel supposed to be very good, if you are going round this way might be a good place to visit, not sure about camping there. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017