The dumbest thing I've ever seen on the road

WhiteTruckMan 23:12 29 Jun 2007

-and believe me when I say that I've seen quite a few dumb things-was today on the bradford ring road. I was doing 40 in my truck (the speed limit) when a twist and go scooter ridden by an asian 'yoof' went flying past me at a rapid rate of knots with his destination plates ('L' plates for the uninitiated) flapping merrily in the breeze. What made this noteworthy however was while he had the throttle held open with one hand he was busily texting someone with the other!

Would it be uncharitable of me to hope he doesnt survive long enough to breed?

WTM

John B 07:43 30 Jun 2007

<Would it be uncharitable of me to hope he doesnt survive long enough to breed?>

He could get a mention on here then click here

BT 07:45 30 Jun 2007

I live near a school and frequently see kids on pushbikes using their phones. Is it illegal or not? It would seem to me that the same should apply as to car drivers.

BT 07:59 30 Jun 2007

Just found these on the Dept. for Transport website. I'm not surprised about the cycling bit but I didn't know about the supervising 'L' drivers bit.

It is not a specific offence to cycle and use a mobile phone but cyclists could be prosecuted by the police for careless or dangerous cycling. Cyclists need to concentrate like all other road users. They should not do anything that would affect their concentration and put themselves and other road users in danger.

It is illegal to drive a vehicle or ride a motorbike and use a hand held mobile phone or similar device. It is also illegal to supervise a learner and use a hand-held phone.

Forum Editor 08:13 30 Jun 2007

that as far as the physical world is concerned, all of us learn by experience. When we're growing up we experiment with things, and we make mistakes. Children learn that things are hot or cold by touching them. They learn the properties of water and stone and plants etc. in the same way. It's all perfectly natural - essential in fact - and enables us to grow to adulthood able to cope with the world in which we must survive.

So far, so good. In the main most of us make the journey from baby to adult with no more than a few small shocks - we know what's dangerous and what isn't, and we know how far we can push the laws of physics before they bite us. The problem is that we've developed so far and so fast that we can make things which can bite us very hard if we push too hard, and motor vehicles are a classic case.

Your Asian 'yoof' was doing what evolution has equipped him to so - he's pushing the limit, and with luck he'll get away with a scare or two. if his luck runs out he'll hurt himself (or someone else) before the survival instinct teaches him to modify his behaviour. All young people go through this rite of passage, and some of them go through it with an apparent total disregard for the dangers - you seem to have encountered one of them.

I blame the parents.

Quickbeam 11:46 30 Jun 2007

pensioners on electric chairs. There seems to be no age limit for people believing they can't possibly do everyday duties without a mobile glue to their ears.

Dare I suggest then that the FEs theory on learning curves has a hole in it?...;)

Forum Editor 11:48 30 Jun 2007

Ever heard of a triumph of hope over experience?

Cymro. 12:51 30 Jun 2007

I know what an Asian is but what is an Asian "yoof"?

User-1159794 12:56 30 Jun 2007

'The dumbest thing I've ever seen on the road'

Pheasants.

Woolwell 13:17 30 Jun 2007

Pensioners riding their mobility vehicles along busy stretches of road. No flashing warning light as other slow moving vehicles have and they can be quite unpredictable.

spuds 13:18 30 Jun 2007

The law states quite clearly that you must wear a crash helmet (excluding anyone of the Sikh faith!)while riding a motorcycle or moped etc.

Ever seen a 'yoof' riding his motorcycle with his helmet placed on the top (not enclosing) of his head, while having a ciggy and a smoke. Must be a new part of CBT methods!.

Happens quite regular with one of our neighbours lads.When asked, he gives the answer that he as an helmet, and its on his head. Can't be fairer than that I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017