Dumbest law ever...

interzone55 20:38 29 Aug 2007

China bans reincarnation
click here

How are they going to enforce that one?

Pesala 21:22 29 Aug 2007

The next logical step is to make a law that prohibits lamas from dying.

Of course, it is impossible to stop anyone from being reborn wherever their kamma takes them, but that is not what the law is intended to do.

Recognition of Tulkus click here is what the law aims to prevent. It is probably beneficial to put a stop to this nonsense. It invests too much power in religious authority and takes away individual responsibility.

In effect, the law prohibits the assigning of religious authority to any individual not approved of by the Chinese government. The Buddha advised us to be a refuge unto ourselves, not to depend on any other person as a refuge.

interzone55 09:10 30 Aug 2007

Sorry pal, I looked to see if it had been posted before but couldn't find anything, that would be because it seems to be quite old news.

I'll tick it as resolved

Dizzy Bob 10:37 30 Aug 2007

China is not alone in having some strange laws

click here

(although i appreciate that these are not recently introduced!)

I particularly liked the fact that in Florida it is illegal for single, divorced, or widowed women to parachute on Sunday afternoons! I assume the mornings are OK!

DB

Pesala 15:13 01 Sep 2007
  Clapton is God 16:16 01 Sep 2007

Taken from Dizzy Bob's link:

Saudi Arabia
Male doctors may not examine women, and women doctors cannot examine men.

Women may not become doctors.

Uh???

sunny staines 16:19 01 Sep 2007

1351 TREASON ACT

An offence to think ill will against his majesty.

not sure if repealed still in criminal law notes in 1980's

Forum Editor 16:36 01 Sep 2007

There are plenty of female doctors in Saudi, but you'll never find one examining a man.

You won't find a woman with a driving licence either, and you won't find a woman who owns any land - it's that kind of place. As far as womens' rights are concerned Saudi is locked into a world that existed centuries ago. Saudi men reveal their true weaknesses when they deal with women, and it's abhorrent to anyone who comes from a western society. No country can claim to be truly civilised when it treats women as second-class citizens, and bans them from seeking medical advice without permission from a male 'guardian', and no country can ever gain the respect of the international community when it permits men to dominate women in such a disgraceful way.

To give you an idea of the ludicrous attitudes that prevail, The Grand Mufti, Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Abdullah al-Sheikh, said this when, in 2004 he saw men and women freely associating at the Jeddah Economic Forum :

"I am pained by such shameful behaviour ... allowing women to mix with men is the root of every evil and catastrophe."

It's almost impossible to believe that a grown man could hold such ridiculous beliefs in the 21st century, but it's true, and there are many like him in Saudi.

Clapton is God 16:57 01 Sep 2007

"There are plenty of female doctors in Saudi"

I'm aware of that.

I was merely quoting from Dizzy Bob's link which show these two, apparently contradictory, laws for the country!

Clapton is God 17:03 01 Sep 2007

Having read the rest of your post (with which I wholeheartedly agree, by the way) you may, unfortunately, be moving down the rocky path of "racial, religious or cultural intolerance" expressly banned by the Forum rules!! ;-))

Forum Editor 17:08 01 Sep 2007

religious or cultural intolerance?

Not me. I'm intolerant of crass stupidity, and the outright denial of human rights, certainly, but I'm not intolerant of religious beliefs, as long as they who hold them are not intolerant of my valid objections to sharing them.

If the Saudi nation wants to take offence at my words it's at liberty to do so - at least the men are, the women wouldn't be allowed to take offence at anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?