Drugs and the common people.

spuds 12:14 16 Dec 2006

We all use drugs, whether this is the simple paracetamol to the actual life saver, but will there ever be a cure for 'designer' drugs, like cannabis,ecstasy, crack cocaine, heroin etc.

Currencies billions worldwide, are spent every year on buying, selling, crime and possible crime prevention, yet actual success results prove very dismal reading.

What solutions are there, and what would do to perhaps resolve this ever increasing problem and issue.

Kate B 12:36 16 Dec 2006

Education - people need to know about drugs. They're not going to go away and what's really needed is for everyone, adults, kids, politicians, yer ordinary bloke, to understand where they come from, their effects on you, the risks, the wider effects (such as crime) and their potential for addiction, and then let properly informed adults make up their own minds.

Obviously you don't want mind-bending substances near kids, but I firmly believe adults should be left to get on with their lives.

I include alcohol, which is a corrosive, addictive and pervasive drug, in all this, btw.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:45 16 Dec 2006

Alcohol and Nicotine, if invented today, would be classed the same as heroin and cocaine and I heard at a couple of drugs conferences (I used to work part-time with young offenders) that Nicotine is the only drug that can get you hooked after one ingestion.

G

egapup 15:06 16 Dec 2006

Why cant they use genetics to alter

Mr Mistoffelees 16:20 16 Dec 2006

To alter what?

Kate B 16:29 16 Dec 2006

The experience of Prohibition in the US just tells us that it doesn't work and I think it's right that much of the effort on drinking these days is about education and regulation rather than simply trying to stop people from doing it. We accept that for most people, booze is a social lubricant and that most people don't abuse it, they just use it. It should be the same with other similar mind-altering substances.

Obviously there are some serious problems with binge drinkers but I imagine they're the tip of the iceberg, the rest of the iceberg being the likes of you guys (I don't drink) who can go out, enjoy booze, have a good night out and then carry on with a normal life, pay the bills, hold down a job and call Mum regularly without developing any kind of problem with it.

Jak_1 16:34 16 Dec 2006

Kate B, yes education has to be there, but ...
In itself education will do little against the persuasive powers of the pushers et al!
Therin lies the problem. For what it's worth, IMHO more needs to be done at school level, that is where the pushers target their victims using kid's who are already hooked!
The problem is that society still likes to believe that schools are a safe haven for kids, they are not! Nor will they be until a firm hand is taken, security tightened to a high degree, body searches if needs be and to hell with the pc brigade and do gooders shouting for rights! If needs be then security guarding during school hours, pupils forbidden outside the school during school hours heightend security for an hour after school in the vicinity.
Draconian yes, expensive yes but a way forward!
Kids ain't going to like it but...

Kate B 16:43 16 Dec 2006

Doing more at school level is spot-on, Jak_1 - which comes back to my point about education.

But the education has to be realistic. Another American analogy is the attempt in the Bible belt to get young kids to pledge celibacy. The adults think the kids, having made the pledge, usually before they hit puberty, are going to remain pure, so they fail to provide any sex education. The result is an eyewateringly high rate of teenage pregnancy and STIs because the kids have no access to education about contraception and keeping themselves safe.

It's not realistic simply to say "It's bad, don't do it", whatever it is, whether it's smoking, doing coke or crack or weed or having sex. It's far more realistic to say "here are the facts, you shouldn't do it and the penalties and consequences can be heavy and nasty, but if you are going to do it, for heaven's sake be safe and sensible about it".

wee eddie 16:53 16 Dec 2006

I was under the impression that most people took these drugs voluntarily.

Many people look upon those that frown on the taking of recreational drugs with a certain amount of bemused tolerance.

I have not taken any such substances for a very long time now, several decades, as I have not felt any particular desire to do so. But why should I deny the right to others. I would not recommend anyone sampling those highly addictive substances which are available, any more than I would refuse them a glass of Glenfiddich.

What I think that you may mean is: Is there ever likely to be a cure for addiction, Drugs, Booze, Gambling, Golf, whatever? I doubt it.

wee eddie 17:01 16 Dec 2006

Mine's OK, but we'll ban yours.

If you want to stop people taking drugs, to excess, you will have to find a way of making their life so interesting and such fun that they do not feel the need.

wiz-king 17:05 16 Dec 2006

legalize it. It would then be taxable to offset the damage it does to users lives and if the government allowed companies to buy the cannabis and opium this would cut the profits of the middle-men and traffickers and would also ensure consistent strength and quality of the products.
It may be possible to make a drug that protects the user against the drugs but as they have valuable medicinal uses that in not a bright idea. Education and social values are probably the best option but there will still be those who wish to try the drugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?