Drug firms 'block cheap medicine'

peter99co 19:43 28 Nov 2008

Their actions cost EU healthcare providers 3bn euros ($3.9bn; £2.5bn) in savings between 2000 and 2007

click here

Is it any wonder the NHS has problems with prescribing cheaper drugs.

Forum Editor 22:51 28 Nov 2008

in this, but they're not entirely to blame - they're simply protecting their own products, and the hundreds of millions of pounds they might have invested in their development.

If the EU wants to resolve this by means of legislation it can, but I suspect you might find some pretty powerful lobbyists at work in the Brussells restaurants and bars.

Pesala 23:06 28 Nov 2008

Generic drug companies - which sell cheaper versions of drugs once the patient has expired - have long complained that it is difficult to get their drugs to market in Europe.

BT 08:38 29 Nov 2008

A Typo I'm sure but it made me smile. I'm pretty sure I would be a bit wary of such drugs ;-)

Mark10 20:29 02 Dec 2008

Comes as no surprise. There have been big advances in so called "clean" engines for cars like the hydrogen cell for instance whose only emission is water. All the research and patents are bought up by the oil companies and then squashed. If there was a clean engine what would happen to oil company profits?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie