Drug dealing / using - your views needed

muscic lover 10:33 30 Aug 2007

1. Users of drugs- a suitable punishment is.......

2. Dealers - a suitable punishment is.....

3. Drug Cartels - a suitable course of action is....

PLEASE remember the Forum rules when you post a reply!

wee eddie 10:47 30 Aug 2007

Which drugs?

They thrive because of the illegality of the substances they deal in.

Si_L 11:02 30 Aug 2007

The punishment set in place is severe enough already, they just need to be properly enforced. A ten year sentence should not be made 3 years, it should be 10 years. Part of punishment is a deterrent to others, so to see drug dealers getting short terms is not helping anyone.

X7-250 - Are you being serious?

Seth Haniel 11:07 30 Aug 2007

for the rich & famous (ie Pop Stars)
and one law of the man/woman in the street

when dropping litter gives you a heavier penalty than using a banned/illegal substance

if our Judges were not so namby pamby the solution is in their grasp :(

jack 11:58 30 Aug 2007

Certainly when celebs are caught out using substances their treatment should be suitable to the status - they are supposed to setting an example are they not?
So the likes of Pete Doherty should be put down on hard and the media kept away from the proceedings.

So yes it time to slam these people, dealers and celeb users hard.
Then we hear of bumper crops of opium poppy in Afghanistan - it a strange world we live in - the stuff is allowed to be grown but cannot/should not be used for recreational purposes.
So why not buy up the crop through UN resources and use only that, that can be used medically and destroy the rest- yes I know and some will still slip the net.

wiz-king 12:02 30 Aug 2007

I think you need a commma after 'down' in the third line!

€dstowe 14:13 30 Aug 2007

One of the few good things to come out of Thatcher was her phrase, talking about the IRA that they "will be starved of the oxygen of publicity." Perhaps if the same was done with some of these so called "celebrities" and not have their sordid antics publicised then the gullible wouldn't be so influenced into thinking that there was something good/exciting/interesting about these substances.

Forum Editor 22:49 30 Aug 2007

"let the limited number of people who want to be users/addicts get on with it"

Nobody, but nobody wants to become a heroin addict.

Your estimate of the world's demand for diamorphine is based on current consumption, but you've allowed yourself to be mislead into thinking that only the countries which buy diamorphine need it. The truth is that the real demand would be far higher, but many developing countries can't afford all that they would like, despite your so-called 'introductory offers.' There's a world-wide shortage of morphine at the moment.

Demand for heroin is rising, partly because the drug is getting much cheaper. Your estimate of the total value of the Afghanistan crop is a little on the low side - heroin production now accounts for slightly more than 40% of the entire Afghan economy, and is currently running at around £1.5 billion - a good deal more than $1 billion.

It's been estimated that roughly 80% of Afghanistan's population is in some way connected with heroin production - the country currently produces about 80% of the world's supply.In the UK alone, over 90% of the heroin on the streets comes from Afghanistan. The real irony in that is the fact that British heroin users are unwittingly funding the Taleban, to whom a good deal of the money undoubtedly finds its way. The deal is that the Taleban offers the farmers protection in exchange for a percentage of the crop and/or a promise that young men from the farming villages will fight with them.

Buying crops may be a partial solution.

wolfie3000 06:01 31 Aug 2007

Well in the case of cannabis i think it should be legalised,

I have experimented in the past with this drug with no ill effects,

Also it has great pain blocking properties, trust me i know.

As for the original post, legalization will sort out all three,

The only reason cannabis is illegal is because it isn't taxed,

Alcohol and tobacco are both legal and make alot of money for the government,

As for hard drugs well i dunno.

egapup 08:39 31 Aug 2007

I live on a estate where there were two drug dealers, they seemed to operate with impunity, one has move on, the other is still here, baffles me why the police allow it and they do know about them, perhaps if they were speeding....

Forum Editor 15:29 31 Aug 2007

My £1.5 billion figure is the amount that heroin sales contribute to the Afghan economy. That means the amount of money that flows into the country as heroin flows out. That figure comes from The Economist, which is normally pretty reliable on economic statistics, and not given to exaggeration.

Estimates of the percentage contribution to world heroin production vary wildly - from 80% to 92% - and I preferred to err on the conservative side.

The figure of 80% for involvement in the trade is also from The Economist, and remember that the key word is 'involvement' - not necessarily cultivation. Drug money permeates the economy in a way that's hard to understand if you don't know the country.

Buying the crop would indeed bring with it many unforeseen consequences, and I did say it would be a partial solution. One positive effect would be that the crop could be used to lower the price of diamorpine to the world's health organisations.

What would take its place? Good question, and you've already answered it yourself when you said "....there is something about human beings that makes them want to get out of their normal perceptions of the world."

People who want mind-altering substances will find them - there'll be no shortage of suppliers, either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017