Drop in to Dixons?

Diemmess 16:12 05 Apr 2006

Lunchtime BBC news that the Dixons name will disappear from the high street, absorbed into Curry's. They are to go for top honcho on the Internet.

"Drop into Dixons" used to be their advertising catch phrase.
40+ years ago on a visit to London I bought a Philips cassette recorder which wouldn't record.
After protracted correspondence, delays and non repairs, I eventually paid full price for a new one which appeared to have had a previous owner!
I vowed there and then never to "Drop in to Dixons" again.

Right or wrong, Dixons have been perhaps the most successful (and aggressive) electronic shop sales outfit, and for a very long time. They must have improved their once non-existant customer relations.
Consumer protection has so improved over the years

I wonder what the future holds?

Jackcoms 16:34 05 Apr 2006
  pj123 16:56 05 Apr 2006

Who? My opinion only but I have never been into any DSG shop since 1965 and I am not likely to in the future.

Diemmess 17:29 05 Apr 2006

1965 is a long time ago, my only visit would be a little earlier than that. It sounds like you had a similar life-changing experience.

pj123 17:36 05 Apr 2006

Well, Dixons (as a one-off shop at that time)
upset me. I was a professional photographer at that time and I used to buy all my stuff from a local shop. Dixons bought the shop and promptly closed it down. I have never, ever bought, or been into anything connected with Dixons since.

Diemmess 17:48 05 Apr 2006

You are right about Dixons being basically a camera shop then, pushing cheaper look-alikes (Chinon and Prinz)?
Nothing wrong with most of the items sold, but absolute stonewalling and no refunds if there was trouble.

ezypcy 19:46 05 Apr 2006

I wonder if they were connected in the past to the small high street electrical retailer Dicks&Sons.They used to be just off Oxford St.

I only visit Dixons inorder to view items that I will purchase elsewhere and for less money.

alB 20:51 05 Apr 2006

Where am I going to go now on a Saturday afternoon when the wife's in Dorothy Perkins/Next/New Look etc. :-( ...alB

v1asco 20:57 05 Apr 2006

Currys.digital

Try here, same place same service.

Or Maplin which is a bit more exciting as it has loads of boys toys and not one pair of shoes for sale.

hzhzhz 22:37 05 Apr 2006

"Dixons name will disappear from the high street,"

Good.

SG Atlantis® 23:43 05 Apr 2006

A turd by any other name is still a turd.

It won't matter what the shop is called they'll still be the same. I do shop in them occasionally - last time I bought a camera and it went faulty after a month. I had to fight with the manager for a replacement. The replacement is still working as good as ever a year and a half later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?