Driving while using a Sat-Nav

Pamy 13:55 27 Feb 2007

I see that the news is full of the icreased fine and penalty points for using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving. I also believe that it is ilegal to view a TV whilst driving(although I have never heard of any prossecutions for this offence. Does anyone know the legal position about viewing a Sat-Nav screen whilst driving as this now seams just as much a hazard as they become a popular "must have items"?

Curio 14:27 27 Feb 2007

there is a requirement that the SatNav screen must be placed in such a location that there is no obstructio n to the drivers view of the road. So you don't stick it in front of your nose!!! For a silent Satnav, turn down the volume. :>)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 27 Feb 2007

"other halfs" (or should that be halves?)

are very good at demanding attention just as you want to be doing something else (and it has to be immediately).

:0)

pj123 16:57 27 Feb 2007

Nobody prepared to comment on Koochy post about police officers then?

I also have seen Police Officers with either a two way radio or a mobile phone held up to their ears while driving. I actually followed one around a roundabout and although police are good drivers he still had only one hand on the wheel to negotiate the roundabout.

Why are they different from us?

Koochy 16:59 27 Feb 2007

Thanks for that pj123 i thought i was out on my on then.

K

bremner 17:02 27 Feb 2007

Police officers are not exempt and are under orders not to use their radios or mobiles in this way.

Much of the "policing" of this new law will be done by CCTV/ Traffic cameras. Police officers do and will receive fixed penalty notices.

johndrew 17:05 27 Feb 2007

No you`re not on your own!!

I vaguely remember an article some time ago (shortly after the use of mobiles whilst driving was first banned?) where this subject was, at least, mentioned. I think the result was something like, `Police are exempt as they are trained drivers`. I could easily be wrong but then memory.......

namtas 17:10 27 Feb 2007

Yes I will. When the law was laid down Dec 1st 2003 it was only applicable to mobile phones. it does not cover for two way radios or other hand held devices.Having said that if you have accident and you were found to be using such a device you could be charged with not being in proper control of a vehicle.

bremner 17:16 27 Feb 2007

You are wrong - As I said in the posting before you.

Police officers have exemptions when they are driving under emergency or training conditions. These only apply to exceeding the speed limit and some traffic signals, red traffic lights for example, where they have to be treated as give way.

bremner 17:21 27 Feb 2007

You are correct about two way radios but in respect of the police their Airwave radios are both radios and mobile phones and are therefore covered under the legislation.

Bingalau 17:32 27 Feb 2007

As police officers seem to continually get off with charges of speeding etc. It would be another waste of public money to charge them with a trivial offence like using a radio. "I was just testing whether the radio was capable of being used at 150 mph in the rain etc." would probably be their answer. ..Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?