Driving on the right in Britain

Graham. 15:10 07 Sep 2009

click here

I tried it once going to Barnsley, it's very dangerous.

Maybe if they tried it first with just trucks and buses?

PalaeoBill 15:19 07 Sep 2009

Perhaps it is something we should consider given the number of EU drivers on our roads now. The frequency of some tired individual driving home after a night shift and killing both themselves and the car they hit seems to be on the increase.

PalaeoBill 15:20 07 Sep 2009

Perhaps it is something we should consider given the number of EU drivers on our roads now. The frequency of some tired individual driving home after a night shift and killing both themselves and the car they hit seems to be on the increase.

Toneman 15:28 07 Sep 2009

You can't be serious. The resulting death toll would be horrendous, just to avoid a comparatively few accidents caused by drivers from abroad! This should have been done 60 years ago, just after WW11 when the number of vehicles on the road was vastly smaller...

Clapton is God 15:35 07 Sep 2009

In fact there is an element of danger by driving on the right, particularly in areas which are prone to hurricanes, tornadoes and other ‘twisters’.

In this scenario the movement of air between vehicles, as they pass each other, is counter-clockwise.

This can help to give rise to twisters, whose movement is also counter-clockwise, bringing with them all the devastation that they cause.

lofty29 15:41 07 Sep 2009

Aprpt from the enormous cost, I think that the accident rate initially would be horrendous, and would likely stay high until all the R/H drive cars had been taken off the road, changing over is thoeretically logical since we no longer carry swords, but not practical.

babybell 15:52 07 Sep 2009

I might be missing something, but how can they try it first with just trucks and buses?

wiz-king 15:54 07 Sep 2009

I think it is a good idea :-
Let's nominate a start date next summer, no cars or lorries to be driven on the road (or caravans!)
Only emergency vehicles and council lorries with gangs of specially recruited persons from the dole queues who will move all the traffic signs across the roads, replace all the traffic lights and filter lanes. At the same time they could re-paint all the road markings.
Should get that done in time for Christmas!
:-)

Clapton is God 15:55 07 Sep 2009

"I might be missing something"

Yes, you are. It's called a sense of humour

Quickbeam 16:06 07 Sep 2009

That's the norm on Friday and Saturday nights between 12:00 & 03:00.

Quickbeam 16:08 07 Sep 2009

I'm intrigued about the twister theory, it's one of those bold statements that could almost be true... or is it true?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?