Driving as a last resort?.

spuds 12:06 30 Jan 2009

Once up on a time I use to absolutely love driving (most vehicles). No journey or activity was a burden, it was usually a get pleasure. But over the past week, I have clocked up a good few miles of motorway and urban driving, and I can honestly say that I hated the experience, and every minute of it.

Roadworks, poor signposting, impatient other road users, speed traps, parking restrictions, inconsistent sat-nav information all had their effects and toll on the journeys made.

What's your views of modern driving!.

DippyGirl 12:31 30 Jan 2009

It sucks, for most of the reasons you state.
Days gone by I would drive anywhere, anytime. Now I have to be dragged kicking and screaminmg just to get me into the left seat.
As a driver it's mostly the other road users - too many of them and of whom far too many are, as you "kindly" say too impatient (aka selfish and ignorant oiks) .... and I havent even got any sat-nav worries

Now it's walk or train or dont go unless absolutely necessary

interzone55 12:43 30 Jan 2009

Most of the time driving around my part of the world is OK. I don't like driving in or out of Manchester though...

oresome 12:55 30 Jan 2009

I don't mind the driving so much, although I don't enjoy it like I used to. It's parking the vehicle at the journeys end that's problematic, especially if you object to paying for the privilege like me.

wiz-king 13:13 30 Jan 2009

I think we all aught to change sides. Pick a date ~ 3 years time as a 'no driving day' that will give the local councils time to stick up the new signs, they might get the signs in the right places.
After a few weeks the sales of new cars will pick up 'cos people wont like driving the old ones. *grin*

dagbladet 14:54 30 Jan 2009

Eh?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 30 Jan 2009

Britain's roads drivers appear to have steadily got worse of the past few years, and driving here has become a "pain in the backside".

I much prefer driving on the continent, seems to be more relaxed and enjoyable.

Quickbeam 15:15 30 Jan 2009

image of driving for pleasure, look at the busy street scenes in films like 'The Lady Killers', 'Genevieve' & 'The Lavender hill Mob' etc. What would you give for what was considered busy traffic then...

Cymro. 15:15 30 Jan 2009

I have also found that as I have got older (63 this year)I get less and less pleasure out of my driving. The pity of it is that although I have better cars than ever I did when I was young I never look after properly these days.

Check the levels, tyres and that is about all I ever do. I had my present car new some 18 months ago and I have never washed it or cleaned the inside. All I ever do is put a rag over the windscreen and the lights.

Yes I do know that it will cost my when I change the car but I suppose I just don`t have the pride in my cars as I used to have when I was younger. I don`t do much driving these days only about 5 thousand miles a year. I just hope that my standard of driving has not deteriorated as much as the amount of time I give to looking after my car.

ventanas 15:20 30 Jan 2009

I agree wholeheartedly with spuds, so much so that I got rid of my car five years back and have not had one since. I travel to and from the office by train, and to the shops on the bus (using the same pass). I am much more relaxed and have hardly missed the car at all.
If I must drive (holidays for instance) I hire from a local garage.
Also over the period I have saved a heck of a lot of money.

Quickbeam 15:22 30 Jan 2009

click here One of my all time favourite British films, with a plethora of little known actors to make it big within a year or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?