Driving Instructors

LinH 19:31 29 Oct 2007

Is it me or do other forum members think that driving instructors seem to choose the most unsuitable places and times to teach their pupils three point turns, reversing etc?

There are only two exits off the estate I live on and at 8 am in the morning one of these is regularly used/blocked by up to three learners doing three point turns, just when people are trying to get to work. I've also seen them doing the same things on main roads and, locally, the approach road to a busy sugar beet factory, causing a backlog of trucks that had to queue whilst a learner, obviously in the first stage of tuition, carried out the required manoevure. As well as holding everyone up it couldn't have done much for the confidence of the learner so why do they do it?

Is there a prescribed route that learners have to use or is it instructors just being awkward?

LinH

Jak_1 19:59 29 Oct 2007

"Is there a prescribed route that learners have to use or is it instructors just being awkward?"

Driving instructors use as near as possible the routes used for tests, this gives the learner the chance to know any pitfalls for a particular manouvre when they eventually take the test. Learnerdrivers need to experience as many possibilities of road conditions possible therfore rushour traffic is one of them. Far from destroying confidence it can actually bolster confidence.
I take that you drive and so were a learner driver once. Give them a break and stop whinging. Go out a little earlier!

WhiteTruckMan 21:41 29 Oct 2007

of newly qualified truck drivers, I fear that goods vehicle instructors these days merely teach people how to pass tests, and not actually how to drive.

I havent knowingly encountered a newly passed car driver, but road standards seem to be so abysmal these days that it often seems difficult to tell.

WTM

g0nvs 21:50 29 Oct 2007

I have to agree, many times recently seem to get held up by a learner driver in very busy traffic conditions, I remember thinking at the time if the learner is so inexperienced why not be learning to drive somewhere quieter ??? It must be nerve wracking for the learner.

LinH 22:53 29 Oct 2007

Jak_1
Not a whinge, merely an observation.

WhiteTruckMan
I think you've hit the nail on the head. These days learner drivers are taught to pass a test, not how to drive in todays motoring environment. However, notwithstanding this, it does seem that some instructors (around here anyway!) seem to be regularly in the wrong place at the wrong time.

g0nvs's comment seems eminently sensible, go somewhere quiet to practice turning and reversing or least wait until after the rush hour is over in order to not hold up others trying to get to work.

It is not, of course, the learners fault, but it does seem to me that some instructors are rather cavalier in their attitude.

LiH

Woolwell 22:56 29 Oct 2007

Recently following a learner driver doing all of 15 mph in a 30 mph limit and over-steering made me wonder why learner drivers don't start on a dedicated off road site until they have mastered the basics of the controls. The roads are so busy and congested that it must be very difficult for the instructor to teach and watch out for other traffic.

lixdexik 23:25 29 Oct 2007

I recently sat the driving instructors driving test (and passed) And I can assure you it is not a deliberate ploy to disrupt traffic flow by doing manoeuvres in traffic. My recent experience demonstrated that no matter how quite or empty the road you pick, as soon as you start the manoeuvre, other vehicles arrive from every direction.
The street outside my house is used by dozens of L drivers doing the turn in the road manoeuvre, it seems they always want to do it just as I want to drive away. We all had to learn, and standards of teaching are tightly controlled by the DSA, as every instructor has to pass a check test every four years at least to stay in business.

It is not a question of teaching people to pass a test, but how to control the car safely, and develop good habits. Once you pass the test you are free to let your standards slip. I doubt there are many experienced drivers on the road today that would pass to days driving test without some lessons first.

There is talk I believe, to make it compulsory to have had 40 hrs of professional tuition before you can sit the driving test. That might improve the standards of new drivers, but We also need to improve the standards of experienced drivers that think, only they are the good drivers and it's all the rest that are the numpties?

Lixdexik

jarvis10@btinternet.com 01:13 30 Oct 2007

a very very high number of driving instructors seem to have the idea of doing these on test routes, i have never worked out why. in a test you will do a turn in the road/ reverse turn in a busy area because the tests centers are in towns and you only have a short time to test the pupil. obviously you have to build up confidence in doing the manoeuvres with traffic. but it is of no benefit to anyone to clog up the areas around test centers, if a student can drive they can drive, test routes change very frequently and there are usually many different ones,
if the instructor has a red square near his tax disc instead of a green one he is a trainee who has not passed part 3 of the exam but is allowed to teach to gain expierience for part 3 and can work as a full time intructor under the wing of a driving school, a very large driving school's instructors are over 60% trainee instructors who have yet to pass part 3 of the adi exam and a very small percent pass as it's damn hard, these are the instructors i see blocking up test routes on a saturday morning.

a very very high number of driving instructors seem to have the idea of doing these on test routes, i have never worked out why. in a test you will do a turn in the road/ reverse turn in a busy area because the tests centers are in towns and you only have a short time to test the pupil. obviously you have to build up confidence in doing the manoeuvres with traffic. but it is of no benefit to anyone to clog up the areas around test centers, if a student can drive they can drive, test routes change very frequently and there are usually many different ones,
if the instructor has a red square near his tax disc instead of a green one he is a trainee who has not passed part 3 of the exam but is allowed to teach to gain expierience for part 3 and can work as a full time intructor under the wing of a driving school, a very large driving school's instructors are over 60% trainee instructors who have yet to pass part 3 of the adi exam and a very small percent pass as it's damn hard, these are the instructors i see blocking up test routes on a saturday morning.

only pressed it once honest!

jarvis10@btinternet.com 01:21 30 Oct 2007

another thing to previous posters, a driving test is and has always been a basic competence test to prove you have basic control, anyone with little experience is going to be a skilled driver. and there seems to be a lot of people who never themselves had to learn to drive, perhaps they were born with the ability but i doubt it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?