Driscoll Jubilee strawberries

Graham. 12:56 23 Sep 2010

How can I grow my own, from seeds or plants? I'm looking for somewhere to buy whatever is needed.

PS. I'm not a proper gardener.

MAT ALAN 14:14 23 Sep 2010

click here=

"pick your own"

Graham. 17:21 23 Sep 2010

I'm looking for Driscoll Jubilee specifically, so far without success. If you've tasted them, in supermarkets now, you'd realise why.

Forum Editor 17:29 23 Sep 2010

this summer - we've tried all the supermarket varieties, and you're right, the best by far are Driscoll Jubilee, they beat all the others into a cocked hat.

Why not give the growers a call? You can get them on 01892 838800

Or

I happen to know that Raymond Blanc's all-time favourite strawberry is a variety called 'Marshmello', and if it's good enough for him.....

Graham. 17:38 23 Sep 2010

Can't find those either. I will call the growers tomorrow.

Forum Editor 17:53 23 Sep 2010

These people can probably supply you.

click here

morddwyd 20:11 23 Sep 2010

Thank you for this thread.

I have long bemoaned the fact that the modern large red supermarket strawberry tastes nothing like a real strawberry, any more than the large red tomatoes taste like tomatoes.

I shall keep an eye open for Driscoll jubilee.

When I lived in Cornwall we had a secret place where we could get a decent amount of wild strawberries.

They were no bigger than a little finger nail, but the intense strawberry flavour of a dozen or so of those, with farm fresh clotted cream, is a long lasting memory.

Bingalau 21:22 23 Sep 2010

morddwyd.
Yes I now exactly what you mean, In Shropshire where I was evacuated during the war, we had a little field about two miles away where we knew we could gather lots of wild strawberries every year. The taste with a little fresh cream was delicious. As for the big rubbishy things that are available now in supermarkets and fruit shops, I wouldn't use them as manure. I'm off down to Shropshire next week, but suspect their not in season at the moment, besides I probably couldn't find our secret field again.

sunnystaines 14:46 29 Oct 2010

Elsanta have poor taste, wild small strawberries are best for flavour.

Graham. 16:52 29 Oct 2010

What would happen if I planted a strawberry?

morddwyd 17:13 29 Oct 2010

"the rise of the insipid supermarket strawberry, that annual disappointment to anyone old enough to remember the days of the Cambridge Vigour, or the happy Hapil and Honeoye berries."

"The Elsanta strawberry, the supermarket's favourite and by far the most widely available soft fruit, is the most firmly linked in the public mind with tasteless modernity."

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?