Drinking Age Could be Raised to 21 in Scotland

peter99co 15:26 21 Mar 2008

New proposal by Shona Robison

click here

donki 15:39 21 Mar 2008

Hmmmmmmmmm what will the result of this be? The authorities can't stop 14 year olds getting alcohal and consuming it on the streets.

the hick 15:48 21 Mar 2008

Does the minimum age of 21 to buy alcohol have any real effect in the US? I seem to recall reading, that the overall average consumption in units per head of population is greater than the UK and several other nations. Some states are 'dry ' as well, and in others, like Pennsylvania, I think alcohol is not generally available in food stores (bit like UK, 1970's??).

Quickbeam 15:54 21 Mar 2008

creates a greater desire.

The Mediterranean countries don't have our problem because they introduce alcohol as a 'take it or leave, it's no big deal' meal item.

WhiteTruckMan 16:32 21 Mar 2008

Thats the bad news.

the good news is that its going to be compulsory..:)

WTM

Earthsea 16:48 21 Mar 2008

At least they're trying to tackle the problem, and it's a difficult problem. If it does make a significant difference then hopefully other parts of the UK will follow suit.

Quickbeam 16:51 21 Mar 2008

I don't believe it will, the problem's cultural to Britain in general... we're a boozing nation as are most Northern Europeans.

Bingalau 17:17 21 Mar 2008

Who's going to stop the hordes of Scottish clansmen descending on us now? I can just see them girding up their kilts as I write. Our off licences had better get stocked up on all the different brands of Scotch.

donki 17:19 21 Mar 2008

How could it possibly make a difference? The Problem lies with off licences and shops selling to people under the legal age, or older people buying the alcohal for people under the legal age.

tullie 17:34 21 Mar 2008

One of the biggest problems is adults buying it for kids,and this includes parents.

georgemac © 19:17 21 Mar 2008

When I have been in the USA you always need to show ID when purchasing spirits, and it seems to work OK in the areas I have been - pretty limited to Orlando though.

I also think it is a cultural thing we have to try and change by Education. We cannot say to people, OK you are 16, you can get married, have children, work, pay tax, fight in the armed forces but we do not trust you to manage your alcohol intake. There must be another way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone