Dragon Flies

ronalddonald 19:25 08 Sep 2009

When was the last time you saw one in London. Last time i saw them in London was in the 1970's.

Last time i saw was in Basingstoke in the 1995

Bingalau 19:30 08 Sep 2009

I've just swatted one in my kitchen, no idea how he/she got there as the door's haven't been opened all day.

wiz-king 19:31 08 Sep 2009

Got a lot round my pond, and I'm about 400yds from London, just in Surrey.

octal 20:00 08 Sep 2009

Over the back of Ealing hospital today in the meadows next to the grand union canal, saw plenty while eating my sandwiches.

morddwyd 20:46 08 Sep 2009

Never mind London. it's years since I saw one over the pond in my rural garden, or anywhere else for that matter.

Plenty of damselflies, but dragonflies totally absent.

Must admit Bingalau's post is the first time I have ever heard of a dragonfly indoors.

Jak_1 21:40 08 Sep 2009

There have been quite a few dragonflies around in South Manchester near the banks of the River Mersey.

hssutton 22:20 08 Sep 2009

If you know where to look dragonflies are there to be seen, but from my experience as a photographer of these delightful creatures they are not as abundant as previous years. This as been the year of the butterfly. Several of this years crop of dragons can be seen on my online album in the macro section click here

Shame on you Bingalau for swatting one, as they are quite harmless and they help keep the mosquitoe population down as well as other small insects.

exdragon 22:20 08 Sep 2009

I used to, once upon a time...

Forum Editor 22:49 08 Sep 2009

patrolling over and around my pond. I love them, and certainly wouldn't swat one, even if it did come indoors, although I've never known one to do that.

There are 42 species still to be found, and a third of those are under threat, mainly due to the disappearance of the wetland habitat they need to survive. Find a place where there's undisturbed marshy ground with the odd pond or two and you'll see lots of dragonflies.

Bingalau 23:56 08 Sep 2009

Sorry folks but it was a knee jerk re-action. It frightened the life out of me and I just re-acted. Strangely enough I let wasps land on me in the garden and don't react at all. maybe I am weird. Blimey another opening for Brumas..

Monoux 07:19 09 Sep 2009

Bingalau -- Lets hope you don't get stung into action

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?