Double Yolk Eggs

morddwyd 09:14 16 Nov 2011

Can't remember the last time I had a double yolked egg (I understand that most of them go to the bakery trade) but out of the last dozen I bought (farm shop) 5 had double yolks, and it's not even springtime!

Aitchbee 09:28 16 Nov 2011

If the eggs, (the 2 yolkers) had been left to mature and hatch normally, would there have been two chicks?

Quickbeam 09:52 16 Nov 2011

You also need two rounds of toast for the required number soldiers... a full platoon is required for double yolkers.

sunnystaines 09:55 16 Nov 2011

not seen one for years either

interzone55 11:39 16 Nov 2011

Apparently double yolkers come from young birds who's hormones haven't settled down.

All eggs are scanned & weighed before packaging, double yolkers are separated and go to catering.

If you buy eggs from farm shops or local markets you will get the odd one though as they've not been scanned. There's also a slim chance you'll get a fertilised egg as well, happened to me once and I had a real shock when I cracked the egg into the pan...

Scillonia 12:00 16 Nov 2011

I have bought half dozen eggs from Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago and every egg had double yolks.

morddwyd 13:34 16 Nov 2011

Some supermarkets, Sainsburys included, actually sell packs of double yolkers as a discrete product.

john bunyan 13:46 16 Nov 2011

I had a box of 6 XL free range from ASDA with all double youlks not long ago. Also see here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/british-woman-cracks-open-29-doubleyolked-eggs-in-a-row-2304092.html

Forum Editor 17:51 16 Nov 2011

My son lives in a rural location, and buys quite a lot of his fresh produce from the local farm shop. I like going there for our bacon and eggs etc. early on a Sunday morning when we're staying with him. We quite regularly get double yolk eggs.

The shop is one of those rare things - full of wonderful produce, and not member of staff in sight. You help yourself to what you want, and leave the money in a bowl by the door. There's a price list,and you're trusted to do the right thing.

Aitchbee 18:58 16 Nov 2011

In Glasgow, southside, at the end of Victoria Road, just inside the gates of Queen's Park, (named after Mary Queen of Scots), there is a Farmer's Market on a Saturday (10am - 4pm) (First and Third sats of the month). I will check out the eggs.The Queen's Park Cafe ( est.1897, a pub) is close at hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone