dose bt employ any british staff ?

acein1 23:18 16 Feb 2008

this is a serious question,i am a bt broadband customer, and to try to speak to anyone about anything i find it "almost" imposable to understand what any one of them are saying ( except for the automated responce when they answer the call) my contract with bt ends in june and i cant wait to get rid of them for good, am i the only bt customer to have this problem ???,i cant believe so .( suggestions for an alternative would be welcome) i am consiering "sky" "virgin" and "talk talk" thanks for any responce

Jak_1 23:31 16 Feb 2008

In short, yes. Until I retired last year, I was working for a company attached to BT. Thy had many call centres around the uk manned by uk citizens.

€dstowe 07:11 17 Feb 2008

I am a BT Broadband customer as well. I don't think I've ever needed to speak to them, apart from the initial arrangements to have the system installed.

Forum Editor 08:54 17 Feb 2008

on the phone the other day, and had to ask him to repeat almost everything he said. He spoke with a broad Scottish accent, and was almost totally unintelligible.

Being British doesn't guarantee a good speaking voice, any more than being a foreigner makes you hard to understand. The most beautiful voice I ever hear is that belonging to the receptionist in the Paris office of a client of mine. She speaks English perfectly, and with such a lovely accent that I am tempted to invent conversations with her, just for the pleasure of listening.

The same thing applied to an Air India Cabin crew member who recently looked after me - her command of the English language was streets ahead of many home-grown Londoners, and her accent sounded much nicer, too.

It's always unwise to generalise.

Monoux 08:59 17 Feb 2008

I wouln't recommed Virgin media. I've had nothing but trouble since I went with them and can't ewait until the year is up and I can get shot of them

Cymro. 10:27 17 Feb 2008

I wonder if people working in call centers abroad such as the B.T. one mentioned have as much difficulty understanding customers from the U.K. especially those with a very broad regional accent. I suspect it is no easier for them than it is for us.

lofty29 11:22 17 Feb 2008

I am with virgin and have had a great deal of problems, so NOT recommended

interzone55 11:23 17 Feb 2008

For a start, all the budget ISPs have call centres in the sub-continent, it's one of the many ways they keep over-heads down.

Secondly, of course they employ British people, but I have almost daily contact with a British BT employee based in Oswestry, she has such a weird accent that I've given up trying to understand a word she says and do all work by email.

Thirdly, I have a feeling that many of the sub-continental customer service operatives would have made a better job of your post. Your subject heading is spelt wrong and the first person I should always be capitalised.

Bingalau 12:09 17 Feb 2008

It seems you should be able to use your own language correctly, before you can criticise other people's versions of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?