The Dorchester Doorman

oresome 18:06 30 Nov 2008

Was on the TV news this morning, retiring after 50 years in the job.

I must say I was very impressed with his confident manner, pleasant smile and attitude.

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, keep quiet" was one of his motto's.

First impressions count and what a pleasant start for someone entering the hotel to be greeted by this man. I'm sure he will be missed by many and I wish him good luck with his future ventures.

Forum Editor 18:28 30 Nov 2008

Whenever I've been there I seem to remember several different people being on the door.

Fifty years in any job is a very long time, and quite an achievement. If ever there was a book asking to be written this is one - I imagine he's seen and heard some interesting things over the years.

peter99co 10:11 01 Dec 2008

45 plus years ago I parked a Standard 8 outside a Big Hotel in London near the Marble Arch and the 6ft plus Liveried Doorman standing at the doors asked where my cases were. In the boot I said. There was no boot lid on the car. In the back seat access I said. Quick as a flash he pulled out the cases and off into the Hotel he went. Next morning the car was still outside the front door with a Bentley at one end and a Rolls at the others. Only trouble was there was only a foot of space at each end. If you give me the keys I will get it out for you he said. He gently reversed and the cars rolled back. I asked the drivers to leave the hand brakes off he said. Magic! Well worth the half crown tip.

laurie53 10:15 01 Dec 2008

If you want anything legal in one the traditional hotels (and sometimes not so legal too) the hall porter should always be the first line of approach.

wee eddie 10:20 01 Dec 2008

It was and still maybe common for these Positions to be purchased from the previous incumbent.

When I was at Browns (between Dover & Albermarl Street)in the mid 70's, it was rumoured that "George" the Head of Dover Street's Door sold his position for £30,000 on his retirement.

Incidentally, that will be why there will, likely, be no Book published. There is one ~ It's has gone to his successor who will be learning of the foibles of every regular Guest.

p.s. His successor will probably have been one of hiss assistants for the last few years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone