"Don't Vote BNP"

laurie53 07:16 26 May 2009

Regardless of whether you actually believe in either the message or influence of the Church or the BNP, should the Church come out for or against any particular properly constituted political party?

BT 07:48 26 May 2009

but whether you support the BNP policies or not, they are a properly constituted and legal political party, who express what a lot of people think but are afraid to openly admit for fear of reprisal.

I see that Postal workers are now being given the oppportunity not to handle BNP leaflets, as a matter of 'conscience'
click here

Will this lead to a Postal worker who say supports the Labour party being able to refuse to handle Conservative or Liberal leaflets.

sunnystaines 07:58 26 May 2009

BNP not my choice, But I feel the church should keep out of politics and keep to religion.

history is full of problems where religion has strayed into politics.

Just look at the problems around the world that islam has caused and also in G.B. with C of E versus Catholic.

Seth Haniel 08:38 26 May 2009

less members ;)

AL47 08:45 26 May 2009

its up to the church to say what it wants i feel, and i couldnt give a damn

in just the same way it can ban gay christian marriges if it wants

infact it may give the bnp benifit [cool factor]! besides i thought the church was all for discrimination and the like ;)

laurie53 09:13 26 May 2009

If you cannot give a damn then there's little you can contribute to the debate.

However, I'm not sure it's up to the church to say what it likes.

It is the official church of the state, and the Queen is its titular head. She is technically responsible for the appointment of the archbishops, and is enthroned by them ,and their ceremonies, on accession.

AL47 09:17 26 May 2009

no, i just feel it can say what it likes, it does on many other issues, why not politics, people dont have to follow it

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:28 26 May 2009

I do not take kindly to a bunch of people who believe in something that cannot be proved, trying to influence or suggest anything to me. The BNP is a legally constituted party and we live in a democracy so as far as I'm concerned they can stay. I wi;; decide who I wish to vote for and not a group of primates ensconced in their Church property.

G

Colin 10:25 26 May 2009

The BNP is getting a lot of free publicity through organisations saying don't vote for them or the media highlighting their tactics. Does the phrase “all publicity is good publicity” apply here? I’m sure they’re pleased every time they are mentioned in the media, whether it’s good or bad.

interzone55 12:49 26 May 2009

The BNP may well be a properly constituted political party, but their policies are based on hatred. They promote their policies by spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt).

As the "Church" have a mission to spread peace and unity (yes, I know it's not working) they should speak out against the BNP.

Maybe the Vatican should have done the same in 1933...

Chegs ®™ 13:34 26 May 2009

I dont believe any political party,they all make promises to gain votes and rarely deliver.I was interested to learn that BNP were only 16 votes behind labour in a local by-election(for a seat in a long standing labour stronghold)so the saying "any publicity is good publicity" appears to hold good as prior to this election,the local paper was full of anti-BNP letters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?