Don't phone & drive...

Quickbeam 12:13 20 Dec 2007

click here I do not condone doing this, but this proposal is over the top, is it not?

Clapton is God 12:22 20 Dec 2007

"this proposal is over the top, is it not?"

No, it's not over the top - or do you condone causing death by reckless/thoughtless driving?

CatTrading 12:30 20 Dec 2007

I use a handsfree set, But do try and not use it in the car.
To many distractions whilst driving can cause accidents.
If you break the law you pay the price!

Quickbeam 12:40 20 Dec 2007

To push for two year prison sentences when the present law is not very well enforced to stop the use of them now, and to sentence someone to two years in the bin when we let muggers that beat old ladies to a pulp off with a slapped wrist (yes, I know I've exaggerated this comparison), when we let dangerous offenders out early to make way for pensioners that try to make an objection to the high increases of their council tax... I could go on all afternoon...

The point being, if the present law was enforced fully, we wouldn't have to threaten people with what is an ultimate punishment. Get the present law working before hanging people out to dry.

Jak_1 12:43 20 Dec 2007

I've lost count of the number of times I have had to take avoiding action because a driver entered a roundabout whilst using a a mobile phone. If I hadn't had my wits about me then on more than one occasion there would have been a multi vehicle collision! If someone causes a death whilst using a mobile phone then yes it should be classed as dangerous driving and rewarded with a prison sentence.
I have to add that the number of young mothers talking on a non handsfree set whilst having kids in the car astounds me!

georgemac © 12:44 20 Dec 2007

I agree, sending more people to already overcrowded jails is absolutely ludicrous. Big fines and penalty points (6 for each offence so two strikes and out) would be a better deterrent. I absolutely agree with stiff punishment for use of a mobile while driving.

Hands Free - so does this also mean that if you have a passenger and are conversing with them, this means your reaction time could be lessened the same as if you are talking on a hands free? Seems the level of distraction would be the same to me?

Or is this really another method of forcing people off the roads and onto public transport where they can use their phones as they wish?

georgemac © 12:45 20 Dec 2007

I agree if an accident and injury or death to others is caused by use of a mobile while driving a jail sentence would be a just punishment.

donki 12:50 20 Dec 2007

Have to agree with quickbeam, violent offenders are get off to lightly in my opinion harsher sentencing is needed for them. Hit drivers, that break the law where it hurts, finincially and by taking the driving licence off them. I know as a driver losing my licence for a year would be a nightmare.

Jak_1 12:52 20 Dec 2007

Talking on a mobile in a car is different to talking to a passenger. The passenger can see the road conditions and moderate the conversation and wait for an answer, the person on the other end of a mobile can't. It also takes more concentration to speak on a mobile than it doesto talk to someonat sat in close proximty in the vehicle. I always switch off my mobile before driving, that way I am not tempted to answer the thing!

Jak_1 12:56 20 Dec 2007

Try explaining that to children who have lost their parents because some imbecile killed them whilst using a mobile phone whilst driving. Same goes to parents losing children killed the same way!

Belatucadrus 13:01 20 Dec 2007

I have no time at all for people who drive with a mobile wedged in their ear, but have to agree. The concept of adding a jailable offence to the statute books, when we don't have sufficient prison capacity and the existing offence would do the job fine if it wasn't largely unenforced is opportunistic political posturing of the worst kind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?