Don't let Gordon see this...

Seth Haniel 15:09 09 Feb 2010

click here

Greece's government intends to raise the national pension age and ban early retirement as it tries to tackle its huge budget deficit.

Cymro. 15:19 09 Feb 2010

I don`t think we will have to worry for very much longer what Gordon Brown sees or intends to do about anything. Is is David Cameron and his mob that worries me. I still remember what the Tories did the last time they were in.

Monoux 15:25 09 Feb 2010

Actually let him see it-- The Greeks plan to increase the retirement age to 63 -- two years lower than the UK

carver 16:35 09 Feb 2010

Only problem with the Greeks going on strike is that it takes about 3 days before you notice that they are actually on strike, any thing less and it's just normal life for them.

BT 17:09 09 Feb 2010

Gordon has already stuffed it for anyone who reaches retirement age after 6yh April this year.
You will no longer be able to claim the Adult Dependancy Increase. See below for an extract from the Direct Gov website. I've just been awarded mine and its worth £55 extra per week. So anyone who retires after this April will only get the Basic State Pension and no extra for their spouse as is the case now, and even this is only available till 2020 for existing claimants so presumably after that date they will lose a huge chunk of their pension.

Extract from Direct Gov Website..click here

"From 6 April 2010, it will no longer be possible to claim an increase of your State Pension for another adult. This is called an 'Adult Dependency Increase'. It is an increase in your State Pension for a wife, husband or someone who is looking after your children, if he or she is considered to be financially dependent on you.

If you are already entitled to this increase on 5 April 2010, you will be able to keep it until you no longer meet the conditions for the increase or until 5 April 2020, whichever is first.

If you claim your State Pension on or after 6 April 2010, you will not be able to claim an increase for an adult who depends on you financially when you finally claim your State Pension."

Cymro. 17:19 09 Feb 2010

So do you think we would be any better off living in Greece then.

Forum Editor 17:37 09 Feb 2010

On the other hand, after April of this year you will only need to have 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions in order to qualify for the basic pension, instead of 44 years, as at present.

Also, from April you may be able to get an increase in your pension if:

you are married or in a civil partnership, and you are not already entitled to a full basic State Pension, and your spouse or civil partner was born on or after 6 April 1950, and your spouse or civil partner qualifies for some basic State Pension, and you have both reached State Pension age.

You could get up to about 60 per cent of the full basic State Pension, even if you do not qualify for any State Pension based on your own National Insurance record.

morddwyd 20:42 09 Feb 2010

"after April of this year you will only need to have 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions in order to qualify for the basic pension, instead of 44 years,"

How can I claim the extra 14 years' contributions back?

Woolwell 22:19 09 Feb 2010

I actually bought a year back because I didn't have enough under the old rules. Somehow I don't think that I will get that back!

Cymro. 16:03 10 Feb 2010

or they won`t have anything to complain about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017