Dont jump

The Brigadier 10:47 19 Dec 2006

Parachute training in the Army is set to be halted for four years as part of a £1 billion cost-cutting programme by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

It will then take a year to get the Army's 2,500 paratroopers + special forces up to scratch.

The proposals mean that Britain will be without a parachute-trained force for the first time since the Second World War when the Parachute Regiment was created on the orders of Winston Churchill.

click here+'would+hit+Para+training'/article.do What next, telling troops they cant use live ammo during exercises?

The Brigadier 10:48 19 Dec 2006

oops bottome line should be link & What next, telling troops they cant use live ammo during exercises?

Kate B 10:53 19 Dec 2006

I know very little about this, so this is not a loaded question: how badly do we actually need a parachute-trained force?

Jackcoms 10:59 19 Dec 2006

Let's put it this way.

Parachuting is one of the fastest, most silent ways of inserting troops behind enemy lines.

knockin on 11:18 19 Dec 2006

I know as little as Kat B, but will the enemy, in future, have lines?
Terrorists certainly don't. Warfare is changing, maybe some of our old systems are not relevant any more?

knockin on 11:19 19 Dec 2006

Bugger- sorry Kate

anskyber 11:31 19 Dec 2006

Yes like the others I just wonder how significant the changes may be. Honestly, I do not know so having raised the issue I would like to know more.

If our "warfare" is concerning fighting terrorism would we not be even more secretive about how we infiltrate the "enemy"

For wars such as Iraq isn't the surprise element a little overplayed given the obvious build up of forces close to Iraq?

Kate B 11:36 19 Dec 2006

Also, who is the enemy? We're not directly at war with anyone and haven't been for many a long year. Much of our military involvement is in other conflicts and is questionable, to say the least.

rodriguez 11:43 19 Dec 2006

click here - fixed your link ;-)

facepaint 11:47 19 Dec 2006

It sounds like good news to me.
The nature of the paras is to go into countries and help de-stabilise them.

Can't see them dropping into the Middle East.
Into an independent Scotland or Wales? Use the bus!

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:23 19 Dec 2006

This does beg the question of when were paratroopers last used apart from at Airshows?

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?